Infilling the Infil

So this appears to be the new infil for where the old 1950s bomb damage infil was in the market and, I have to say, from the first floor up, it’s pretty impressive, at least from the outside. They have stayed true to Kaye’s original style and put in good quality sashes etc. It remains to be seen what happens with the ground floor. I am expecting it to be all one shop so they can get some dreary chain in, but hey, you never know…

I did have a ‘before’ photo for this, but can’t seem to find it. If anyone has one I’d be glad of it…

New bit of Greenwich Market
New bit of Greenwich Market

8 Comments to “Infilling the Infil”

1. Dazza says:

I heard it was going to be a Peyton and Byrne. But this was some time ago so might have changed.
    Don’t forget that the old Shiva shop is also available….. But then so are so many more!! (Mini rant!)

2. Jon says:

Phantom – if you take a screen shot from Google Streetview it still shows the old frontage (can send to you if you like).

I agree the new facade is pretty impressive and a definite improvement. (Wonder whether those smart new sashes are the same double glazed ones that the council don’t want me putting on my house…)

3. Jon says:

PS Yes please to Peyton & Byrne

4. Ho hum says:

Yes I heard Peyton & Byrne too.

But Suchef also seem to be looking at Greenwich…

5. JOF says:

Well it does look pretty good and a big improvement on the previous infill (thanks Jon/Streetview). But now I take a good look, those round columns look a bit odd. They’re not sitting on anything at the bottom and not supporting anything at the top, just hanging desperately on to the frontage seemingly ready to fall off. Any Palladian experts out there?

6. Jb says:

This is a vast improvement. I would happily see the ground floor given over to a quality chain, like Carluccios or Cote instead of another low quality tourist place like most of the independents in Greenwich. The quality joints like Inside are still thriving despite all the predictions from the we hate chains brigade when Jamie’s Italian opened. It’s the low quality places that will struggle to compete. Greenwich should use Blackheath as a template. It has a great mix of really good independents and chains and offers far more choice than Greenwich currently does (and before someone says it I live in Greenwich so am not promoting Blackheath!)

7. Pedro says:

Yes, the columns are holding up only air, which I think the Georgians would term a “solecism” .

But I think the left hand half of the bay, two flat pilasters and two round ones, are the originals, so I guess we have to blame Joseph Kay or cheapskate Georgians, rather than our normal villain, Greenwich Hospital Estates.

8. Brad says:

I think its still going to be a Peyton & Byrne – this is the drawing of the ground floor from the council planning website: http://publicaccess.royalgreenwich.gov.uk:81/online-applications/files/C9F9EAF1B469648EDB1137382E5D8454/pdf/14_0169_F-DRAWING_09-01_REV_E-231430.pdf