Faded Greenwich (21)

Back in 2009 we had a spendid Faded Greenwich down what’s left of Prince of Orange Lane, best viewed from the trains coming in from Maze Hill. Take a peek, it’s a goodun.

But we didn’t look at the front of the same building. David did – and discovered more evidence of Justice’s delicious (and long-gone) Pure Bread, Cakes and Pastries:

Sadly I still can’t find anything whatsoever about the business, but they were clearly proud to announce their presence, both to the occupants of passing trains and to the good burghers of Greenwich walking along the High Road.

This little block is also the home of the enigmatic ‘Cigar Warehouse’ that I’m always being asked – and have no clue – about. Sorry.

Faded Greenwich Baker David 2
Faded Greenwich Baker David 2

Faded Greenwich Baker David
Faded Greenwich Baker David

7 Comments to “Faded Greenwich (21)”

1. Neil Rhind says:

The baker at No 193 Greenwich High Road was one Montague Temple, who was there is the 1930s. An odd name for a baker in my experience.

On another point: the reason people don’t skate on the Blackheath ponds anymore is because various employees from the Town Halls smash the ice before it can get really set hard. All in the interests of our old friends Health & Safety. The fact that none of the ponds is more than about two foot deep does not dissuade Mr Jobsworth. Walking on thin ice on streams and ponds was part of the fun of winter when I was a boy.

2. TGP says:

Ah, those heady days when people took responsibility for their own safety and didn’t expect someone else to live their lives for them suing them if they didn’t…

3. TGP says:

Montague Temple sounds like the villain in an episode of Bulldog Drummond.

4. valley_girl says:

Mr. Temple’s name was even more a mouthful – in full it was Arnold Ezra Montague Temple, born in Lewisham in 1875. He died in 1953.

5. david whittaker says:

Arnold EMT was at both 133 and 195 High Road in 1934. Justice was at 195 in 1902; a William Gorton, tobacconist, could be found at 191 in the same year. Do I win this week’s prize anorak??

6. valley_girl says:

Number 191 seems to have spent much of its life as a tobacconist. I can trace it back to the 1841 Census when it was in the hands of Thomas Yeandle and his wife. Could this explain the ‘Cigar Warehouse’ sign?

PS. Can I have my anorak back please?

7. Stephen says:

Great find. I must have been past that zillions of times and not noticed it, or at least I don’t remember seeing it. My family was involved for a long time with West Greenwich Methodist church which was almost opposite. It closed in 1969 but was opened for my sister to be married there in 1970.