Jim Four Photography

Dear Phantom

All I want for Christmas is for you to ask your people who Jim Four was and why his shop ‘Jim Four Photography’ is a frozen time capsule.
from David
Jim Four’s old photography shop has been on Woolwich Road for yonks. For many years it had a large black and white photograph of Judi Dench with a cup of coffee, but now, David’s right – it’s not changed in what’s got to be six years.
Not much is revealed internet-wise – looks as though Jim Four is/was something important in Greenwich Yacht Club, but frankly, I don’t know anything more about him, though if he was taking chummy shots of celebrities I guess he is/was something important in the photography world too.
But since I rarely ask and fail to receive, I am sure there’s a Phantophile out there who can play Santa Claus for David…

14 Comments to “Jim Four Photography”

1. Jack Cross says:

Haven’t spoken to Jim in a while, but he was alive and well and sitting in the bow window of the Richard I yesterday.

2. Jacky says:

Most well known as a professional photographer of classical concerts and performers …. Working at Wigmore Hall etc . Lovely man!

3. Mary says:

Jim Four is.
    Many years ago Jim lived somewhere round the back of the British Oak and somehow we ended back there with some other people. Downstairs all the walls were stripped back to the brick and the only furniture was a very large and antique, but working, juke box. One of the people with us said ‘Oh Jim it will be lovely when you’ve finished decorating’. ‘I have’ said Jim.
    (sorry Jim, if you read this – see you at the Panto, hopefully)

4. Pat says:

That little row of shops is an enigma…what with the pottery place that is never open……Jim Four’s studio…..and Quality Foods……whatever happened to Quality Foods?

5. Nathan says:

Quality foods? I’ve never even noticed that one! You’d hope with all the flats going up that might revitalise this end of town.

6. Stephen says:

Where are these shops? I’ve been up and down Woolwich Road on Google street view and can’t find them. On street view there are some boarded up shops opposite where the hospital used to be, are they there? Greenwich dry cleaners and Greenwich cafe are the next two shops going to Woolwich. The boarded up Old friends Pub is the Greenwich side.

7. TGP says:

Sorry Stephen, I meant to take a pic and failed. Jim Four’s old shop is opposite what’s now Greenwich Food and Wine (used to be Shivas) in the same section (might actually be next door to) the Labour Party shop.

8. Stephen says:

Thanks TGP, got it. One down from the Labour Party Shop.

9. Pat says:

Quality foods was the last shop in that row if you were walking towards Charlton
    Google maps must be woefully out of date if the Old Friends is still there!

10. Stephen says:

Pat. Woolwich Road was covered by Google street view in May 2012.

11. FingalsCave says:

The food shop that was the last in the row used to be run by a woman called Mary in the 1980′s. I think she was Greek. The food was often had interesting sell by dates.

12. David says:

Hi all, thanks for the input so far; seems alot of people actually know Jim.

Can someone find out why the shop is frozen in time? Must be a deliberate decision not to let it out or sell it (whichever is the case. Oh how I’d love to have a poke around in there…

David

13. Geoff says:

Had a drink with him the Tolly this evening

14. Lionel says:

Drinking with him in the bar of Greenwich Yacht Club right now. He’s surprised at being such a celebrity