Maze Hill and Station Early 20thC

A treat for anyone who enjoyed the picture of Vanbrugh Hill last week, supplied by the ever-knowledgeable Neil Rhind. Another from his bulging collection, not taken at exactly the same time, but still very early. It’s not as clear as the other photo, probably because of printing processes – this, as you can see is a postcard, of the ‘bird’s eye view’ variety…

He says “I noted that some readers were disappointed that Maze Hill Station was not included” and has sought to remedy the problem with a photo taken from the other side of it, which clearly includes (most of) the station.

The area behind it, now filled with apartment blocks, is a yard, and behind that is the much-disputed-in-the-past-but-alright-now-I-believe Westcombe Park Woodlands. Almost washed out right at the top centre is Vanbrugh Castle, and many of the houses in the picture are, astonishingly given two world wars, still with us, if somewhat ‘embellished’ with additional builds. The further up the hill you get the more intact it is, and of course the park is as it has been for the past 300-odd years.

Of course, bottom right isn’t the same. Where a hundred years ago was hung washing out to dry, is now the doomed-itself Arches leisure centre and telephone exchange.

Neil tells me that the white stuccoed building was Douglas House, sometime the Greenwich Liberal Club and afterwards as the Key Social and Athletics Club. He notes “I doubt much running and jumping took place but I suspect an awful lot of drinking.”

Can anyone here remember going to the LCC school in the bottom left corner? Its address used to be Creed Place before the whole road became Maze Hill.

Just when I think I’ve seen all the postcards Edwardian Greenwich had to offer, another bowls up. Keep ‘em coming, folks!

Maze H stn & Hill
Maze H stn & Hill

9 Comments to “Maze Hill and Station Early 20thC”

1. Miffee says:

Thank you Phantom, please keep them coming.I know that one of those buildings in the left hand corner is the old Roan School building in Feathers Place, then Eastney Street.

2. Miffee says:

Take no notice of my last comment, Monday morning syndrome! Obviously not where I said!

3. Graham says:

The postcard, (like the one of mine posted on 19 July) looks as though it was published by Perkins & Sons. As well as the one of the Observatory, there is at least one other view from the chimney that they published … and like the one of the Observatory, it was published under more than one title, including: Greenwich and Royal Naval College, as seen from a balloon. I haven’t got a copy … but maybe another Phantom reader has.

4. Tina Lewis says:

Thanks for another great picture Phantom.

The bottom part (north of the railway line) is completely different, it took me a while to figure out what I was looking at.

Is the Arches really doomed? I quite like that building – hope they won’t be replacing it with another of those identikit pale yellow brick blocks that seem to be so popular.

5. Gordon of Greenwich says:

I’d love to see some old images of the area around the Woolwich Road flyover part of East Greenwich before the motorway was steamrollered through – Any out there?

6. Gordon, there are a few inside the foyer of East Greenwich library.

This is an interesting photo:

7. Neil says:

This site has excellent aerial photos that show (amongst other things) the Westcombe Hill area pre-A102, eg: http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw040925

8. Gordon of Greenwich says:

Thanks for the link – my partners family have lived in East Greenwich for years. Her nan was born in Fingal Street in 1928 and her mother was born in 1947 in 309 Woolwich Road. Her mother later went to Halstow School and twenty-five years on so did she. Our daughter is now a pupil there too! Her mother and nan recall watching cricket on the Metro Gas Sports Ground which then backed onto the rear gardens in Tunnel Ave long before the A102 came along. We now live in the Avenue as well. Her great aunt also managed the corner cafe shown in the photograph with the baby in the pram.

9. Miffee says:

My brother was born in 1946, and went to Halstow, may even know them? The rest of our family also attended Halstow through the late 50s and early 60s.