Stone Roses, Marigolds, Poppies…

If you’ve walked along Old Woolwich Road, opposite the garage and auction rooms, you will prabably have ‘zoned out’ the ghastly little strip of nothing that runs along the outside of Stone interiors’ yard. It’s been like it for years (though I do vaguely remember mosaic made from broken stone a few years ago – maybe ten? I could be mistaken…)

In the spirit of Guerilla gardening, though perhaps a tad more official, a few E.Greenwich residents have decided to do something about this dreary little strip of rubbish, dog-poo and fly-tippery, and make it into a micro-garden. Stone Interiors will be donating some stone to make it all nice…

Ian, who told me about the project, has got some local big-hitters to contribute – Greenwich Parks, the garden design course at the University and, of course, our own Mary Mills, and they’ve got to the initial design stage (personally I’d just build a raised bed and stick some flowers and a few veg in – but what do I know…)

If you’d like to be involved, the design workshop will be on the 22nd June, at the stone yard. The room they’ll be in only fits a limited number of people so if you fancy joining, let Ian know – either by emailing him on ian.worley@arkh.com or calling 077125 86923.

I have been noticing teeny-tiny gardens turning up all over the place in East Greenwich. My favourite is at Westcombe Park Station where, at the moment, there is a profusion of wild strawberry flowers, but later on will turn into what is essentially a herbaceous border. I don’t know who does it, but I tip my tricorn to the Ooompa-Loompas that come out in the dead of night and make little corners of Greenwich a little bit more beautiful.

guerilla garden westcombe park
guerilla garden westcombe park

East Greenwich new garden
East Greenwich new garden

11 Comments to “Stone Roses, Marigolds, Poppies…”

1. Alastair says:

I wish the Ooompa-Loompas could get to work at Maze Hill station as well

2. Barbara says:

If you’ve used Charlton Station recently you will have seen the start of a new ‘edible’ garden run by Charlton Community Gardens. South Eastern Railways have been very supportive of our project, so don’t wait for the Oompa-Loompas, get a group together and do it yourselves.

3. Mary says:

I would love to see a garden group at Maze Hill – and Westcombe Park. when the Charlton Group had their recent ‘opening’ with the Mayor – I talked to the rail people there and they promised me they would be supportive. And I am sure the Charlton people would give advice.
    I am aware of some other patches in need of some TLC – get in touch!!

(I also see the Phantom didn’t mention the flowers planted round trees in Whitworth Street – anyone could do that)

4. joe says:

A great idea, not only improving the look of our environment but providing declining bees and butterflies with food!

5. Barbara says:

If anyone is interested in doing something at Maze Hill Station then the Charlton Community Gardens group will be happy to offer some advice based on our experience at Charlton. Contact us at: charltoncommunitygardens@gmail.com

6. Gavin says:

There is in fact a band of committed, mysterious guerrilla gardeners at Westcombe Park station – a lovely diverse bunch of mostly ornamental stuff on the south platform plus a small herb garden on the north platform.

7. Anne says:

I think they come out at weekends, at Westcombe Park, when station staff aren’t there, and not at night. And anyone can join in.

8. Neil says:

Charlton Community Gardens are having a plant sale at Charlton Station next thursday: http://charltonchampion.co.uk/2013/06/07/charlton-community-gardens-plant-sale-thursday-13-june/

9. David Carson says:

Well I turned up at Crooms Hill on Sunday at about midday and not a whisper of anything at the Manor House. Couldn’t steal myself to knock on the door, what with that Sumption-bloke being a Lord and all that! Did I get it wrong and was the garden open on Sunday? :-)

10. Gulp – so sorry David – I made a mistake with the dates. I updated the dates with a new post, but failed to sort this one out.

Oh, the guilt.

11. Hi
    I’m coming along on the 22nd – and would be interested in helping out with the Maze Hill garden too.
    Olivia