Reasons to Sit on the Top Floor of a Bus (2)

Is this not a fine sight? Something you’d only see from the top of a bus – the 188, actually, spotted by JR, who describes it as “a thing of beauty surrounded by a whole heap of ugly”.

Developers demolished the old buildings on the corner of Blackwall Lane and Trafalgar Road a few months ago, and I have to admit that I assumed this wonderful mature magnolia that used to be in a little playground was done for.

And of course it might still be – but unlike the shower across the road at the newly-named Greenwich Square, who thought nothing of felling several fine, fine limes (very quickly, before an inconvenient preservation order could be made) the outcome for this particular development ┬áis rather different.

Earlier, I managed to  imply that the developer of the site had made a big effort to build a protective barrier around it. I now need to amend that.

I understand that the glory – and the thanks for leaving us with some magnificent blossom – goes not to the developer (how naive was I for even thinking that that might be the case?) but to our very own Mary Mills.

Thank you Mary – and everyone else who supported you. A small part of East Greenwich is a nicer place for your efforts.

cherry tree garden on building site
cherry tree garden on building site

13 Comments to “Reasons to Sit on the Top Floor of a Bus (2)”

1. Scott says:

Ummm, sorry but I think Mary Mills was the reason these trees were kept and nothing to do with the developers.

2. deebee says:

Three cheers for Mary Mills!

3. JR says:

Hip Hip, Hooray for Mary!

For she’s a jolly good fellow…

4. Hurrah indeed. I shall change the blog accordingly.

5. Capability Bowes says:

While I applaud the saving of any tree, and indeed applaud Cllr Mills for having a hand in the saving of the magnolias, before this turns into a complete MaryFest let us not forget that Cllr Mills did not exactly go out of her way to be polite to several regular GP readers over the issue of the lime trees. In fact, my personal recollection of the matter is that having publicly promised to do something specific (vie the medium of this fine blog), a certain amount of backtracking then went on.

6. Steve says:

In anticipation of Mary Mill’s response, please can I ask about the weeping willow tree opposite the foot of Victoria Way, Charlton? Sainsbury development proceding nearby and that tree is too nice to lose.

7. Mary says:

I think the willow is ok – but no thanks to me if it is – entirely down to members of the Charlton Action Group. Not going to make excuses about the limes – but there were a lot of misunderstandings there on everyone’s part, including mine.
    The magnolia might be ok – but there was also a quince there which might be a problem because of the trunk size
    - and of course there is my own ex-ash tree

8. Pat says:

The magnificent cherry blossom tree that used to be in the playground has been felled.
    There is also a silver birch that seems to have protection around it.
    Things that can be seen from the top of a bus aka things that can be seen from the top floor of a charity shop.

9. KarenS says:

There’s also a quince tree that has the same boarding up around it at the moment – hope it’s enough to save the two of them. I managed a bit of jam from the quince the year before last, but alas there were very few fruits last year.

10. Capability Bowes says:

Am I alone in being completely amazed and bewildered that there is no single named Office of Greenwich Council responsible for trees? An Arboricultural Officer whose remit is to check all Planning Applications and liaise with developers about the trees affected by the plans? That it is apparently down to each individual Housing Officer to look after the trees on their patch (and then only when Council residential properties are concerned?). That there is seemingly nobody in the Parks Department or Environmental Health or Planning to whom people can go to check whether a tree is protected (or indeed to complain to if root movement is affecting their foundations)? That there is NOBODY at Greenwich Council whose job it is to look after the trees of our borough?????

11. Pat says:

You would hope that the council would have a branch specifically for this.

12. You’d have thought they’d have twigged by now.

13. Capability Bowes says:

I’m so glad that both of you seem to find the situation so goddammed funny.