Black Vanilla

Here’s a little gem. For months I assumed that the bar-space down the side of the chillers in Black Vanilla’s excellent gelaterie was the only place on the premises you could consume ice cream/ tea/coffee/ pastries etc. That and the teeny garden space a the back of course.

But then a pal told me to try upstairs. Lo and behold – a proper little tea lounge complete with comfy chairs, chandelier and fireplace. Tastefully decorated, quiet and delightfully free of pushchairs (I have no problem with small people, but sometimes it is nice to have a proper, adult space…) it’s a little haven for secret tete-a-tetes and a good old gossip. The coffee’s good, the service friendly and the ambience is just right for meeting pals.

Just don’t meet them at the moment while the weather’s like this. It’s bloomin’ freezing up there. Part of it is the large, single-glazed windows (which will be glorious in the summer – there’s a fantastic feel to the place) but mostly they leave the front door downstairs wide open. My friend and I sat there in our hats, coats and gloves and were still so cold we moved on after the first cup, when we had initially intended to stay there all afternoon getting quietly lost in a caffeine haze.

Don’t get me wrong – this is rapidly turning into one of my favourite places for coffee in Greenwich. But I’m not venturing back there until the weather warms up just a tad – or that fireplace gets lit…

Black Vanilla 2
Black Vanilla 2

Black Vanilla 1
Black Vanilla 1

13 Comments to “Black Vanilla”

1. Jon Lee says:

So what’s the deal with the champange bar? Looks like a nice place for it.

2. Dunno. I know they had trouble getting a licence – presumably they persuaded the council to part with one, though there doesn’t seem to be any information anywhere about it. More a summer thing I’d have thought – few are venturing out in the evenings this weather…

3. Stephanie says:

I tried to get a coffee from the Blackheath shop last week and it was decidedly shut – I am hoping it was just for the day.

4. Michael says:

sorry to be dim but where exactly is it in Greenwich?

5. Sorry Michael – it’s in College Approach, just up from the Oxfam Bookshop, but not as far as the entrance to the market.

6. scared of chives says:

Staff are really nice – but it always seems empty…or shut.

7. Richard says:

There or Beunos Aires cafe for best ice cream? Its a tough choice.

8. Michael says:

Thanks Phantom, I’ve found it!

Can’t believe I’ve never noticed it beforeā€¦.think I’ll take my mum there for birthday tea/coffee/cake/ice cream.

9. Make sure she’s wrapped up. This place will be stunning in the summer but it’s decidedly chilly just now.

10. Lysanne says:

Whenever we go there the staff ignore you so we tend to avoid it now but agree the coffee is great and upstairs lovely

11. Jenma Johnston says:

We had an event there recently. The main bar staff upstairs was so arrogant and rude- avoid at all cost.

12. Nicki says:

Toilets were pretty grim on our last visit and outside space was very grotty, rubbish and fag butts.

13. Harriet says:

Had a Champagne and Gelato party for my 30th. Beautiful space upstairs with the most amazing gelato and the service was wonderful we all had a fantastic night.