London Screen Archive

Oh heavens – Michael has found us one hell of a time-drain. I’d heard of the London Screen Archive, but had assumed it was the usual grainy cine films of horse-drawn trams going over London Bridge from 1900 – which of course I love, but of which by now have seen quite a few.

But the films on this archive are much more modern – though still old enough to be utterly fascinating and nostalgic in a rather melancholy way for me. I’m going to include a couple here but really – you need to get on there and search ‘Greenwich’ to find a good fifteen or so videos – promos for the council (and otherwise) from the 1980s and 90s, little documentaries and odd information films. They are really interesting given we now know what actually happened after some of the ones that are ‘consultations’.

They seem to be adding videos on a very regular basis, so it’s worth checking every so often, though of course only when you have a good chunk of time to spare.

7 Comments to “London Screen Archive”

1. Mary says:

UMM – you’re right about the time wasting element – and where are they all now? Introducing the Greenwich Leisure promo is Sabiha Shazad – and she sat next to me at a meeting last week, so I guess I know where she is – but the rest of them??

2. Michael says:

I think they must be working through their Greenwich related archive as two more films have just been uploaded : “Greenwich Reach” from 2000 and “Fun Day Interviews” from 1994. Hopefully there’s even more to follow.

3. Dazza says:

When I read this post this morning, I thought you were joking about the time eating thing. How wrong was I? I am still watching them and loving how they are so relevant to today. What happened to the Cruise Terminal at Deptford Creek? Oh, yes, it moved to Enderby Wharf….. well, sort of!!
    Such a wonderful insight into the planners minds and how they keep plugging the same ideas….. even after 30Yrs we still don’t have a coherent plan for the traffic!
    Thanks again for finding this little gem and sharing it with all, Clever Phanty!!

4. RogerW says:

Yup, thanks from me, too.
    Hey, looks like Glenda Jackson MP at 0:58 in the first video.
    Best (though in some ways saddest) bit for me was the footage from the Plumstead Museum, which used to be upstairs over the library. I used to love going there as a kid, but it’s long gone, now. Nice to see it one more time.

5. To be honest, I have to hand the credit to Mike – I didn’t find it – just liked it…

6. Ged A says:

The music in the leisure film! Local man with home studio.

7. Steve says:

Yes, I used to see Glenda Jackson in Safeway (where M&S Blackheath is now) quite often.