Town Celebrations

I know everywhere has been spruced up for the Oly/Paralympics – flags, flowers, bunting – the full works. I’ve been enjoying them hugely – and they’re not always where you’d expect them. Take The Pelton Arms (a pub I’m really liking just now) – all flowers and froth and fun – or the residents of Caradoc Street with their window boxes:

Of course there are the obvious central sites – I like the Mitre’s re-spruce (though I’ve not been in the ‘lounge’ yet – hope it’s good – I used to rather like that quiet little tiled conservatory at the back, which I assume is now loungeified)

and, obviously there’s Number 16 round the corner:

I even like the pubs that are cashing in on the Olympic craziness – I note that the old Gloucester Arms, renamed so many times in such a short time, is currently basking in all the gold medallist glory it’s been next door to:

I note that this is an obviously temporary sign, though as bad-pun-pub-names go I don’t dislike this. If it can’t be the Gloucester Arms, it might as well be a comedy name that actually means something.

The other place that’s managed a bit of a coup of course is the Pilot The Wheelchair Basketballer¬†on the peninsula. I’d have shared the BBC story with you but if anyone can work out how to use the bloomin’ BBC London website they’re a better Phantom than I am…

I could go on, but I’d actually like to hear your favourite celebratory places in Greenwich just now. I’m going to leave you with mine – on a door next door to the Plume of Feathers in Park Vista – beautifully done, guys.

So. What is your favourite Greenwich Olympics-push-the-boat-out place?

patriotic front door park vista
patriotic front door park vista

Gold & saddle
Gold & saddle

Number 16
Number 16

mitre olympics
mitre olympics

Caradoc St
Caradoc St

pelton arms olympics
pelton arms olympics

7 Comments to “Town Celebrations”

1. bats says:

The Gloucester Arms/Greenwich Tavern was renamed by Chris Evans on his radio breakfast show. Apparently it was the place to be after the gold medal won by team GB in a horsey event…they all celebrated in there.

2. capability bowes says:

That front door is absolutely bloody hideous.

3. Peter says:

please don’t tell everyone what an awesome pub the Pelton is, please!!

4. Sorry Peter – but it just is. Don’t worry – only nice people read this blog, it won’t be spoiled, just enhanced. Besides it’s always fun in the winter watching the ‘newbies’ coming in, noticing the comfy armchairs by the roaring fire, settling down, then having to move because they’ve scorched their faces in the furnace (yeah, I did it too, first time…)

5. SophieM says:

We love the Pelton Arms, but it blotted its copybook horrendously on Saturday by serving us horrid, overcooked, catfoodesque burgers. (There, that should help keep the numbers down.)

6. 16" East says:

I really love the front door on Park Vista, it looks better in real life than in the photo, although it lacks the white needs to complete the union flag. Good for them anyway. Really love the welcoming international flags here and there, there are some on Park Vista too. Looking forward to watching some horsey dancing (aka dressage) in the park tomorrow morning.

7. Dazza says:

Good to see that No16 is mentioned. Benson is raising money for Alzheimer’s Society. Always good for locals to support charities.
    Glad to also hear that Meridian Radio have snapped up our Greenwich Celeb as a presenter for Radio show. Could it be that he’s bought his own radio station? Eat your heart out Chris Evans!!