All The Bells

I am sure you already know about this – but just in case you don’t…

Tomorrow morning at 08.12 Artist Martin Creed’s Work 1197 will take place. If I give you the title you don’t really need to know much else:

All the bells in a country rung as quickly and as loudly as possible for three minutes

Annoyingly if you type ‘Greenwich’ into the website you get very little going on, but before I had to stop posting I was in communication with their press officer (who lives round here, btw) and I know there is stuff going on. Quite what, I don’t know – I’ve emailed but had no response yet – if I get any this evening I’ll let you know. Otherwise, I suggest you set your alarm for 08.10, open your window and listen…

You could, of course, ring a bell of your own if you have one – bicycle, alarm, door – anything. I’m not going to repeat the dreary H&S caveats the official website has to carry. We are all products of the 21st Century. We need to rediscover our common sense, not rely on others to tell us the bleedin’ obvious.

10 Comments to “All The Bells”

1. Nick says:

I hope Greenwich did better than where I live now (North Cambridgeshire) – I strained my ears to hear any bells at 08:12 this morning – nothing !

2. Nope – I heard nothing here either. Not even Christ Church’s bell, which normally rings the hour.

3. scared of chives says:

Aren’t the Christ Church bells a ‘tape’- recording?!?

Guess they could have recorded 3 minutes of ding-donging and then pressed ‘Play’…

4. I’d have bought that. Frankly all I heard was a bunch of workmen filling a skip. They didn’t even drop anything tinkly. Bah.

5. Anna says:

I heard the bells ringing on St Johns Park (persumably from the church itself) so it was happening somewhere in the borough!

6. Michael says:

Interesting as when I chased them up, I was told nothing of this and that my vouchers must have been lost in the post!

7. Michael says:

oops wrong story!

In fact I have a comment about this too. Heard no bells. I asked someone from St John’s Park church and they told me they were ringing them at 10 instead. Very strange!

8. EC says:

Either St Alfege or Layde Star of the Sea was bonging dead on 8:12. Shame the bell ringers weren’t actually to hand as it sounded a wee bit funeral.

9. DeeBee says:

We heard Chris Evans talking about the bells that morning and rushed the family over to the Naval College. There was no one else there to enjoy the show except for a group of 2012 volunteers, but the bells did ring, even the small ones above the colonnades, and we ended up with one very delighted 3 year old. (The thirtysomethings were pretty impressed too.)

10. LankanLady says:

If it is any consolation, we rang the Chapel bells at the Old Royal Naval College at 8.12am……Having said that though, did anyone else think it would be a better idea if the bells were to have been rung at 8.12pm?…Then it would actually have been 20.12. It made sense to us, but then perhaps, we were missing the bigger picture….