Vans

Lucy asks:

I wonder if you or any of your followers know of a good van hire place near Greenwich/Lewisham? It’s rather urgent as we’re moving on Saturday!

I’ve never had to hire a van, so I don’t know of any but I’m sure someone here can suggest something. Has anyone tried that StreetVan scheme, for example?

7 Comments to “Vans”

1. Andrew says:

Have used the Streetvan scheme (although I think it’s all been renamed Zipcar now) a number of times for and it’s great. Very easy and decent size vans. And cheap!

2. Alfron says:

Agree, Streetvan is excellent, and there are a few around Greenwich – I’ve used one just behind the station a few times, for example. Easy to drive (I’d never driven anything bigger than a Fiesta before!) and very good value for money by the hour.

Had a few problems with the cars side of things now that it’s turned into Zipcar so you might want to give them a ring to sort everything out – the online booking system is no longer very good at all.

3. Gemma says:

I second those comments above, we loved streetcar/van but it has got a bit poorer since it became part of zipcar. It is convenient though, they can set you up with an account quickly and if it is for short journeys(day trips) then it’s still cost effective. No longer the case for longer trips though on the whole. We hire cars for longer trips from Enterprise on Lee High Road in Lewisham, they seem decent enough and accessible by DLR, not sure if they do vans though.

4. Franklin says:

Agree with Gemma. We used Streetvan for local moves and it was convenient and cost-effective, although we had to go to deepest Deptford to pick up/drop off.

Enterprise on Lee High Rd do do vans and we’ve used them many times, good service and much more cost-effective for longer trips/rentals.

5. Other Adam says:

I hired a small van from Go Easy Hire when I was re-doing the garden and had a mammoth B&Q trip to do. They are very reasonably priced and you can get to their depot by bus easily enough. Only minus is that you get a van with an empty tank, so have to go and fill up straight away – and I found it difficult to judge how much diesel I would actually use.

6. James says:

A second vote for Go Easy here!

Have used them a couple of times, the bus is OK but for the last one I rode my bike there which made it easy to chuck it in the back of the Transit and away you go.

Very eco-friendly! And saves leaving your car there aswell….

7. Benedict says:

Becoming more popular in North America is the “Bike Move” movement…..