Today’s Special…

… Andrew’s hat, served with a little sauce on the side.

Toria has just seen actual movement on the Heart of East Greenwich site – a JCB. She says it’s “doing ‘stuff’ (technical term) within the old hospital grounds! It’s moving and everything..”

Can the long-awaited development have actually started at last? That JCB looks a little lonely – but small beginnings…

JCB
JCB

10 Comments to “Today’s Special…”

1. Jon says:

Wowzers! I suspect it’ll take that one digger a long time to build thousands of flats, a swimming pool, a library and two GP surgeries, though.

2. Tom says:

Good!
    Im not sure where to put this, but turns out there is permission for yet another betting shop on trafalgar road, right opposite coral.

How can the council possibly agree to one in spitting distance of 3 others?

3. Benedict says:

I dont believe its actually digging, just practising some moves for the new TV series “Dancing with JCBs’”

4. Maddy says:

Jason Wood, the Project Director from Hadley Mace for the former Greenwich District Hospital site, has sent a letter informing the residents on Calvert Road that the work will commence towards the end of March. However, when asked, the surveyor from Hadley Mace told me that they had to have something on the site (hence the JCB) only because this year the planning permission for the development expires and if they don’t start or appear to have started the work, they will lose the planning permission and will have to reapply for it. It is not clear when the real work on the site will start. It may not be this year.

I asked if there is now a solution for the traffic as this was one of the conditions imposed by the Council when the planning permission was granted. Unfortunately the surveyor was not aware of any.

5. Well, if that’s the case and they’re just doing ‘technicality’ stuff, then technically, Andrew’s hat is still safe. Andrew – do you want to set a new date for the tifter-munching to begin?

6. JR says:

It’s true – I saw some real-life people on site this morning (Tuesday) – along with a few mean looking machines. All they seem to be doing is clearing away the buddleia and random plants that have taken root over the years but as my mum always says, it’s better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

7. Richard says:

I also notice that some pieces of planted have arrived (or been left) at the disused industrial estate next to Greenwich DLR station. Looks like the demolition is about to begin there. No one has turned off the tap that has been gushing water out foe the last 3 weeks mind.

8. Disgraceful – and a hosepipe ban starts in a week or two. Bah!

9. Nelson's Left Eye says:

Tom, I think Ladbrokes will just be moving their existing branch from up the road.

10. Sharmani says:

Looks like the diggers have been hard at work shifting some earth and levelling the slope of the hill. The result, as it stands, is a big “step” about 1/5 of the way down the site. I took a picture of it which can be found on twitter at @Sharmani or, to avoid all the otherstuff I tweet and retweet, use the hashtag #eastgreenwichhospitalsite as I’ll keep putting up new pics – the evolving view from a Calvert Rd bathroom window, over the months ahead. Lucky with the weather recently, the site, in sunshine and long shadows, looks like tonka toys in a sandpit! Suspect it’ll feel more real as it gets bigger and louder.