Celebrations

I guess I should really put this in Parish News – but just in case you’ve missed the 1001 notices and fancy joining in the kneesup:

Friday 3 February

Greenwich officially declared a Royal Borough, marked by the receipt of the Letters Patent – a document formally confirming the Borough’s Royal status and signed by Her Majesty The Queen.

• Musical fireworks display in General Gordon Square Woolwich, along with roving entertainers and Royal-themed content on the Big Screen
  • Location: General Gordon Square, Woolwich, London SE18 6HY
  • Time: Roving entertainment from 4.30 to 7pm
  • Fireworks at 6.40pm

Saturday 4 February

All-day celebrations at three locations in Eltham Town Centre:

The Eltham Centre Archery Road, SE9:

• entertainment and exhibitions all day including an opportunity to view the Letters Patent
  • Location: The Eltham Centre, Archery Road, London SE9 1HA
  • Time: 10am to 5pm

Free activities at Eltham Palace

• Free entry to Eltham Palace for the day
  • Activities including workshops for children, a falconry display, roving ‘royal’ entertainers and costumed characters
  • Location: Eltham Palace, Court Yard, London SE9 5QE
  • Time: 10am to 3pm.

Tree-planting in Well Hall Pleasaunce

• Official planting of a Black Poplar – presented by Her Majesty The Queen to Greenwich and all other boroughs in London to mark the Diamond Jubilee
  • Venue: Well Hall Pleasaunce, Eltham, London SE9 6SZ
  • Time: 11am

Evening entertainment at the Tudor Barn in Well Hall Pleasaunce

• Roving ‘royal’ entertainers and live musicians outside the Tudor Barn
  • Venue: Well Hall Pleasaunce, Eltham, London SE9 6SZ
  • Time: 5 to 6.30pm
  • Musical fireworks finale at 6pm

Sunday 5 February

All-day celebrations in Maritime Greenwich including:

• top live music performers (details tba) in a marquee at the Old Royal Naval College
  • special Royal Greenwich exhibition in the Discover Greenwich centre including a chance to view the Letters Patent
  • walks and talks exploring Greenwich’s Royal history
  • live entertainment in Greenwich Market throughout the day
  • roving ‘royal’ entertainers, musicians and costumed characters
  • workshops for children
  • Royal-themed parade involving schools and community performers
  • stunning musical fireworks display as the grand finale to the whole weekend

Venues for events on Sunday 5 February:

• Discover Greenwich, 2 Cutty Sark Gardens SE10
  • Greenwich Market
  • Old Royal Naval College
  • National Maritime Museum
  • Pepys Lawn (in front of Old Royal Naval College)

Times:

• Free entertainment and workshops in Greenwich Market and National Maritime Museum: 10am to 5.30pm
  • Parade departs National Maritime Museum at 5.30pm, travels via College Approach, arriving 5.55pm on Pepys Lawn
  • Music stage on Pepys Lawn: 2 to 6pm
  • Musical fireworks finale on Pepys Lawn: 6 to 6.15pm

15 Comments to “Celebrations”

1. RogerW says:

Congratulations, Greenwich!!!

2. bats says:

Phants, are you going to be called the royal Greenwich phantom? Just checked
    http://www.theroyalgreenwichphantom.co.uk is available.

The race is on for who receives the first piece of mail with Royal Greenwich on it!

3. annabel says:

I wonder if Greenwich becoming a Royal Borough will have a positive impact on our property prices :-) .
    Here’s hoping.

4. PiratesPatch says:

Must see programme tonight on BBC 2, 9pm, on the restoration of the Sark

looks great.

5. Pedro says:

well, I guess Americans will be impressed. And this will show Tunbridge Wells!

annabel, why does the price of your house matter, unless you want to leave Greenwich? All rising property prices mean is that moving to a bigger place costs more. I thought people had got over that kind of thinking.

6. RogerW says:

I’m just back from Woolwich, and am happy to say the celebrations and fireworks there were great.

7. Robert Number 16 says:

I watched the BBC documentary this evening, I so enjoyed it.I understand there have been questions asked with regards “little” info coming from the Cutty Sark Trust about what has been going on.Do hope we can forgive,and enjoy the long awaited return of the simply wonderful ship that is the Cutty Sark

8. bats says:

I couldn’t agree with you more Robert. Time to forgive and forget. A wonderful documentary.

9. PiratesPatch says:

Stunning programme, amazing ship, Royal Greenwich and Great Britain should be very proud of the Cutty Sark.

10. Pedro says:

On the day Greenwich became a Royal Borough I walked passed a disabled woman in a wheelchair in Woolwich, not far from the Earl. The woman was crying, snot was running down her face and in desperate gasps of air between her emotional struck words she told a Community Support Officer she had just been mugged. It happened about 5 p.m. I was upset by this incident. Greenwich might be a Royal borough, but there is still a part to it which doesn’t have frills and fireworks attached.

11. WalNut says:

Can Greenwich succeed where heathrow has failed and carry on as planned despite 2 inches of snow? We want fireworks please!

12. Lara says:

Hey Phant! I’m going to the fireworks with friends tonight. I do hope to see you floating about! :-) .

13. trisha says:

PEDRO! property prices.
    Of course we’re not over that kind of thinking!
    yes I’d love to sell my meager house to a rich city bod and retire to the country.
    I don’t want to stick around whilst canary wharf takes over Greenwich!

14. MR BEAN says:

yes I agree TRISH.

The hippy feel of greenwich has long gone.
    A barage of royal rich mums are waiting in the wing.

15. MellowBellot says:

I thoroughly enjoyed the celebrations – particularly watching jousting knights in the snow. The fireworks were fantastic too. Well done Greenwich!