Police Squad

This was going on yesterday morning – six police officers in hi-vis jackets hanging around Romney Road, with one at the previous lights armed with a walkie talkie. When I first saw them, they’d stopped a silver car. I was walking through the park and didn’t take much notice. But when I got to the other side of the Queen’s House they’d stopped another silver car. By the time I got to the front of the covered walkway, yet another (also silver) car had been stopped and a tow-truck had pulled up. All the yellow blobs in this pic are police stopping various cars/people.

They were certainly giving any drivers they did stop the full treatment – looks like they’re making this woman touch her toes…

…though thinking about it she’s probably having to prove she doesn’t have any knives down her socks.

I’m not sure what they were doing, but my guess is stopping cars without current tax discs – the policewoman at the previous lights radioing ahead to flag-up vehicles that looked suspicious. Or maybe they just have it in for silver car-drivers.

My pal thought Romney Road an odd place to stop people but I reckon it was deliberate – a good pinch point that at 11.00am was unlikely to create traffic jams and very public indeed.

If it was the tax-disc thing, what surprised me most was the number of people they stopped. They were still there later when I went past again, and still stopping what seemed a disproportionately large number of cars. The tow-truck seemed busy.

Does anyone know if my hunch is right? I’m not going to ask if you were one of the ones who got stopped…

UPDATE – Yes – apparently it was tax discs. Incredibly, I understand from a little Robert-shaped-bird that they caught 45 vehicles. Scary, eh…

pollice checkpoint 2 low
pollice checkpoint 2 low

police checkpoint
police checkpoint

police checkpoint low
police checkpoint low

12 Comments to “Police Squad”

1. Steve says:

It would be lovely to think that they were stopping people who were driving while using their mobile phones. Sadly, although it is as dangerous as being slightly over the drink-drive limit, and much easier to detect, the police don’t seem to enforce it very visibly.

2. Mike says:

I saw a scooter rider being ticketed by an un-marked patrol car by Blackwall Lane/Woolwich Rd at about 8.30, and 10 minutes later the same car pulled over a driver for running a red light as they made their way to the ORNC.
    Nice to see road rules actually being enforced. It’s easy to get the impression that it’s a free-for-all out there sometimes. Can the police do something about chronic speeding next please.

3. Kate says:

I went past this lot yesterday too. They were definitely looking at tax discs. Two silver cars were stopped when I went past too so maybe it was at the same time.

4. John says:

I think it’s part of a Metropolitan-wide sting on tax discs (trying to sound like Gethin Jones on ‘Police, Camera, Action!’) because I was in Chiswick yesterday and they were doing exactly the same on the busy high street.

5. methers says:

With over 10% of London drivers having no insurance, I’m glad the Met are out there trying to catch some of the miscreants. Crushing’s too good for ‘em!

6. Chris says:

I think you’ll find it’s not just tax discs. They had a similar operation on the Heath about three months back which used ANPR technology which instantly susses. tax, insurance, police markers etc.

I was tugged even though I didn’t ring any alarm bells, they gave the motor a thorough examination and I went on my way.

I, too, was glad to see them doing it as they were nicking quite a few glum-looking people for various offences, mainly no insurance.

7. John says:

They quite often do something similar on Romney Road – sometimes it looks like manual checks, sometimes there’s an ANPR van parked on the pavement just the other side of Park Row.

There’s also been a similar check being run in Rotherhithe (on Bestwood St/Bush Rd, just round the corner from McDonald’s) on at least a couple of mornings this week.

And of course, it’s quite common to see a truck or two pulled over opposite the ORNC, with the driver presumably being ticketed for flouting the lorry ban.

8. Steve says:

An excellent way to reduce congestion and pollution in the area!

Big thumbs up from me!

9. Rob says:

I was in Eltham yesterday morning and there was a big police presence doing exactly the same there.

10. Ian says:

Yeah can confirm that this happens all the time. Though I’ve never worked out what for. As an ex student at Greenwich Uni, if you sit in the computer labs that face Romney road theres often Police out stopping traffic.

11. Chris says:

Hope this link works.

If not, it’s a press release from the Met about a vehicle crackdown.

12. oneswallowmakesasummer says:

They were at it in Kidbrook last week!