Peninsula Chinese Restaurant

You’ll probably have read this elsewhere (Rob over at greenwich.co.uk has a particularly repulsive photo) but the Peninsula Chinese Restaurant in the Holiday Inn building has been fined £54,000 (plus £2,600 costs) and its owners have been banned from running restaurants in Greenwich’s biggest-ever breach of food hygiene (well, biggest that’s ever been caught.)

It’s all a far cry from about ten years ago when I remember friends of mine raving about the place, saying it was the only Chinese restaurant worth going to in the area, it was so authentic,everybody loves it, yada, yada. And they weren’t the only ones – there were queues outside the restaurant of a Sunday lunchtime for the dim sum.

I confess that the only time I went I had a series of dishes consisting of flabby white goo, but I just assumed that that was because I’d either ordered badly or that I didn’t like it because I’m not a huge fan of Chinese food (I eat it, but it’s not my first choice.) But I saw those queues. They were real. At some point this was a destination. And I’m sure I’ve seen queues recently too.

Were the conditions that bad all along? Perhaps the management changed. Certainly they seem pretty unrepentant – they have been fined several times before and pleaded guilty on this one. Mind you it would have been hard to do anything else. Mouse droppings everywhere from the floor to near plates, cling film and even food. Lack of hand washing facilities. A build-up of grease under the cookers. Mouldy vegetables on the floor of the walk-in fridge. They were bang to rights.

And yet Rob tells me that last weekend they were still open. Presumably the lucrative Chinese New Year celebrations made it worth flouting the ban.

It’s pretty easy, I understand, for the owners of banned restaurants to just set up a new company in a different name, shift the assets across and start up again. And although for you and me the fine sounds pretty enormous, for them it’s pretty small. I suppose that if they were to start up again under a new name, the slate would be clean and they could start collecting hygiene breaches from scratch.

Yick.

11 Comments to “Peninsula Chinese Restaurant”

1. Jon lee says:

On a related subject-anybody know what is happening with the Sushi place on Nelson Road? It was closed down due to mice ages ago and has been empty ever since.

2. Paul says:

Re Sushi place – I think Mr Chung is moving in. As for whether it’s the pretty decent Mr Chung on Trafalgar Rd (best delivery in greenwich for my money) no idea.

While were on the subject of sushi – does anyone else reckon that Ginza has gone from great to distinctly average? I’m losing count of how many changes of ownership it’s had.

3. Scott says:

Paul,

I went to Ginza asked one night why the change of names. The owners haven’t changed it’s just that they had an investor come along and wanted the named changed. Seems like a strange thing to do I think as it gives customers the idea that the restaurant may be struggling.

4. Paul says:

thanks Scott – IIRC this is actually their second change of name, and the lady who was manager for at least a year seems to have moved on. So perhaps it’s just a staff turnaround.

5. Kate says:

Interesting list of food hygine awards! My favourite places were all fine. Surprised though at Union, Richard 1, Mitre and Trafalgar all failed.

6. Nervous around Onions says:

I’m not sure I believe that document. There’s a Mr A Restaurant listed – sounds like a made up name to me.

7. Valoma says:

OMG Phantom I saw a very old Dr Who in the centre of Greenwich today(a bit tubby) So not a Peninsula Chinese Restauant customer I hope !! Can`t wait to tell my husband .A Dr Who nerd! lots of cameras flashing. Does anyone know what he was doing in Greenwich ( I think it was Tom Baker ?)

8. Nutters says:

Phew! Glad to see the Honest Sausage passed!

9. Rebecca says:

Paul, the same lady who seems to be in charge has been there (Ginza/Tsuru) since I started going 3 1/2 years ago – as have many of the staff. I was there on Sunday (for the buffet) and it was as delicious as ever. The fish was fresh and abundant.I havent eaten from the menu for a while, but am always impressed by whats on offer there too.

Speaking of celeb spotting – any idea what was being filmed in ORNC on Saturday? While walking through we spotted 3 men with pigs heads being harassed by journalists (a film set)

10. Azofkid says:

Apparently it was a Guardian advert…