Make Love Not War

Boo! Hiss!

But which Secretary of State is the killjoy? Defence? Health? Environment? From that headmasterly tone of voice it could even have come from the Sec of State for Education. I think we should be told whether it’s Phillip Hammond, Andrew Lansley, Caroline Spelman or Michael Gove who has too much time on their hands…

On the other hand, it does just say¬†the Secretary of State. They couldn’t mean…no – surely not. This couldn’t be the Americans interfering in British matters of war again, could it?

We must be firm. Hilary, you have no jurisdiction here in Greenwich.

water fights low
water fights low

15 Comments to “Make Love Not War”

1. IanVisits says:

It’ll be Jeremy Hunt MP, Secretary of State for Culture, Olympics, Media and Sport.

Interestingly, although the Parks are open to the public, it is by courtesy of the Crown Estate – no one has the right to enter as they are still legally private property.

2. P & D says:

This may shed some light on why water fights are banned. I think you know my profession phantom and I actually attended this call.

Believe me, it wasn’t all jolly japes and larking around in the sun. It was vicious fighting resulting in a GBH.

I would imagine that the blanket ban wouldn’t see two toddlers being hauled before The Beak for chucking a cup of water at each other its more about discouraging organised ‘flash mob’ style water fights that turn ugly.

3. Chris says:

From the beeb item -

“However, Scotland Yard issued a Section 60 order allowing officers to search revellers in the area.”

P&D – So if you search someone and find they have a newspaper or some ballons, do you charge them “going equipped to take part in a water fight?”

Surely our money can be spent in better ways than knocking out signs ‘saying ‘No water fights’.

Any flash mob event can lead to trouble. Sadly, when you get a few — probably pissed up — people in a group of more than a few dozen in the UK a minority will be intent on causing mayhem.

4. Chris says:

Er, balloons…..sigh.

5. scared of chives says:

Anyone up for forming a human pyramid (27 people) every day by Maze Hill Gate during the Olympics?

6. P & D says:

Chris

You miss the point and are trying to use the Sec 60 as a tool to pick an argument with me. My last entry on this matter was posted in order to be helpful, nothing more. I don’t hold a strong view on it either way. However, your assumptions can’t go unchallenged.

1. The police don’t decide on charges and haven’t done for about 10 years. The CPS do that.

2. You are making the assumption that police can’t employ common sense in the application of the power conferred under Sec. 60. You are wrong.

3. Production of the sign: I don’t know. How else do you suggest the information be disseminated? You also seem to forget that police officers pay taxes too so its my money as well!

4. Having had first hand experience of group mentality it is all too easy to blame a few rotten apples in the barrel for all of the trouble. Sadly, I was there. They weren’t drunk so can’t use that excuse either. Sorry.

Sigh…..not everything has to be a battle. Maybe your friends in the CIA (click on Chris’s name for explanation) have made you a bit sour?

7. P & D says:

Oh, by the way, if you think that sign is silly look at these:

8. Richard says:

Seems quite sensible to me. If large groups of people turn up to cause trouble using the pretext of a water fight then they have been warned. I guess the total cost of the signs must be what 76p?

9. parkkeeper says:

Identical events like the Hyde Park riot shown here have been taking place in Greenwich Park for several years.
    TGP, can’t believe this the sort of love in you favour?

Couldn’t give a f*** about the person who heads up the order to attempt to stop this stupid and dangerous behaviour.

10. Chris says:

P&D – You miss the point. I was talking tongue-in-cheek!!

But since you’re up for it….

1) I know the CPS’s role. What would the arrest be for? Breach of Sec. 20? Public Order?

2) I am not making the assumption the police don’t use their common. It was a bit of fun. I’ve always said if the police wanted to work-to-rule, you could nick everyone for, say, not practicing archery on Sunday morning. This would be a nice effective way of clogging up the entire system. Common sense dictates you don’t act on every technical breah of law you see.

3)The signs are superfluous. They’re like the ‘Do not throw stones at this sign’ sign. The park regulations will be phrased in such a way as to ban water-fights, or organised rubber band fights, or organised whatever.

4) I am in the City and the CIA website is brilliant for their in depth, accurate, country profiles. Have a little search and get to know the wider world courtesy of the US taxpayer!

Blimey, TGP obviously doesn’t realise how anal people can be!

Cheers,
    Chris.

11. scared of chives says:

Forming a human pyramid can get quite anal at times.

12. Darren says:

Chris,

‘Tongue in cheek’ is pretty hard to convey in text on a computer screen, don’t really think you gave that impression to a post that purely provided information.

Now watch out otherwise you might find electronic posters put up here by the Secretary of State banning arguements:-)

See, smiley, universal symbol of tongue in cheek.

13. Chris says:

Oh well, seems I didn’t get my tongue-in-cheek view over.

I know about Smilies but can never get them right.

The CIA provide little icon thingies to just click on, noit that I’m asking TGP to do the same, he/she must have enough to do!

Apologies for any ruffled feathers!

Cheers,
    Chris.

14. Chris says:

Oh, and point taken about the cost of the signs, on my work computer it looked it was a permanent metallic thing.

I see now that what I thought were bolts are actually drawing pins!

Yours, in tactical withdrawal mode,
    Chris.

15. Wendy says:

Scared of Chives, I’m in, but only if I can be on the bottom at the side.