Weeping Dwarves

Several people have contacted me about the fencing-off of this old tree in East Greenwich Pleasaunce. Here’s the sign that goes with it:

Thank you Adam and Andy respectively for the pics.

No – I will admit that at first it does look a bit draconian, and, given all the things the council has on its mind at the moment, fencing-off trees in a park does seem a bit much. But it’s clearly pretty unwell and has been the subject of much climbing by (probably) small children. This is, after all, a graveyard, though, and I guess that if it is a memorial (to whom, I have no idea…) then further climbing isn’t just a bit disrespectful, it could kill the tree – or said kiddies.

But Andy, whose ‘brain is hurting’, is probably offended for different reasons. Given this is an official, printed council notice, you’d have thought someone would have put it through the spellcheck…

Does anyone have any clue who this memorail to a navel sailer is for?

weeping councilSign
weeping councilSign

Weeping Council
Weeping Council

16 Comments to “Weeping Dwarves”

1. Jack Cross says:

Hey, “navel sailor” sounds like some kind of mild perversion to me..

2. Dazza says:

The mind Boggles!!!

Is a memorail like a Monorail? And as for Navel Sailer, well, I agree with Jack. It sounds like a Polari euphemism!!!

In all seriousness, I was always surprised that Kids were allowed to climb over a Graveyard. I was always told to respect the dead. Still, with recent events, I can see respect is something sadly lacking in some of today’s ‘Youth’.

3. leah taylor says:

Spellcheck?? How about employing people that can spell?

4. cerletone says:

I wonder why they feel that something starting with please and ending with thank you needs to be headed “polite notice”?

Dazza: given that some youths today seem not to respect the living, maybe their lack of respect for the dead should come as no surprise.

TGP: there’s a certain irony in you following a post which references spelling mistakes with a post that contains one! (The post about the cable car thingy. Although in fairness to you it’s a typo, not a spelling mistake!)

5. Steve says:

It’s a bit unfair on the kids to say it’s disrespectful to the dead to climb this tree as (until it was fenced off last week) there is no indication anywhere I can see that it is a memorial to anybody. The Council sign that has just appeared doesn’t seem to be suggesting that climbing has damaged the tree. If the tree needs to be protected, then the silly flimsy wooden fence they have hastily erected isn’t going to help much.

6. Capability Bowes says:

Is there such a thing as non-navel [sic] sailer [sic]?

Sir Joseph Porter, perhaps?

7. Capability Bowes says:

What worries me more is that there is no such thing as a “dwarf weeping beech tree”. A dwarf beech, yes. A weeping beech, yes. But not a dwarf weeping beech.

8. Lara says:

I was in the Pleasaunce last Saturday and it made me smile to see a group of small boys playing on and by Henry John May’s grave.

They informed me it was their spaceship and they had been tidying up the ship by knotting the huge chain and moving it close to the grave’s edge.

:) .

9. Erk! Didn’t think I’d posted that – the piece wasn’t ready to go live as I couldn’t get the vids to work. Must have hit the ‘publish’ button instead of ‘draft’ out of habit. Typo sorted out and good old fashioned web addresses typed in instead of all that fancy embedding stuff now…

10. Steve says:

I had another look and the tree isn’t even in the “graveyard” (ie. the walled off section). In any case, there are trees and graves interspersed all over the park. Some of the graves are under a plain grassy section. Who’s to say where children should or shouldn’t play in this park?

11. Andy says:

I sent a copy of the pic to the council and got this reply:

Thank you for your email.

May I firstly apologise for this Poor Spelling on the sign.

I have today raised a request to our Parks And Open Spaces Department and have also forwarded your email with the Photo attached.

I must say that in my email I suggested changing it in these times of austerity was not worthwhile, but take more care next time – but they insisted!

12. Mary says:

I had had a number of complaints about adults climbing on the tree as well as children – and also of branches being pulled off it – although I didn’t do any more than pass them on to management. The parks department do need to conserve trees for the future for everyone.

13. Parish pedant says:

Shouldn’t they replace it with a correctly spelt sign?

14. Stephen says:

“I have asked that they look into this matter and remove the sign and replace it with a correct spelt sign.”

Shouldn’t that be correctly?

15. Steve says:

This is all very confusing. So, whether or not it is a memorial is of no relevance. The fence has gone up to protect the tree. Fair enough. I think they need a better fence (as well as notice) though. Apart from the fact it’s falling down already, someone could impale themselves on those railings.

16. Capability Bowes says:

I love the misuse of initial capitals in “Poor Spelling”.