Greenwich Lockdown

It’s been a very odd day today. Horror, fear, anger, and rumours. Rumours, rumours. I’ve been chained to my desk all day, unable to get out from the backlog of Real Work, able only to follow people who’ve been out there to see it all such as Darryl who’s @darryl1974 twitter pics have been keeping me as up to date as any as he went on what has to be a very strange Birthday pub crawl. Thanks, Darryl.

But still the rumours come. The shopkeepers of Greenwich are taking no chances, and I have to thank Nick for the following pics.

I’m not sure that anyone has any real idea that there’s trouble to be had this evening but given the horrors of the past three nights I can, frankly, see why these guys have decided that being the only one on the block to be unboarded-up would be an unwise thing indeed.

The streets seem eerily empty for a mid afternoon in the sunshine. Is it really like this, Nick?

Greenwich Book Time, given that they sell the one thing that thugs don’t want, would seem reasonably safe – but they have taken the precaution of putting their empty till on display.

How the hell did we get here?

I don’t know whether this is all just mass paranoia or if there’s really going to be trouble tonight, but I can’t say I blame these guys for hedging their bets. Never have I wanted a really torrential downpour more than this evening.

And just on a slightly lighter note, here is a selection of my favourite photos of the day:

The Clapham Clean Up

Serving tea on a riot shield

And, best of all, a very clever photoshopper who keeps adding to his rogues’ gallery¬†portraits of looters

Stay safe tonight, folks. No heroics, eh…

greenwich lockdown nick low 1
greenwich lockdown nick low 1

greenwich lockdown nick low 4
greenwich lockdown nick low 4

greenwich lockdown nick low 3
greenwich lockdown nick low 3

greenwich lockdown nick low 2
greenwich lockdown nick low 2

11 Comments to “Greenwich Lockdown”

1. Vicky says:

Just come home to Greenwich after mini break in South Downs, shocked to see it all boarded up! I live in the town centre. The reason the shop keepers boarded up and closed their shops was that they were told to by the police as a precautionary measure.

2. scared of chives says:

Judging by the looters thumping the crap out of Ladbrokes yesterday (Peckham?) not sure those plywood panels would do much…but good luck all the same.

3. methers says:

Some good pics of Trafalgar Road here:

I was rather pleased to see this tweet:

and of course headed straight down there to buy a bottle. Thanks Daniel!

4. Darryl says:

Thanks for the kind words! By contrast to those pictures, the area was heaving with traffic and people around 2pm. Hopefully it’s done the trick, although there’s a few odd stories flying around…

5. Neil says:

It would definitely help if people could stick to tweeting/retweeting actual facts, rather than rumours.

6. Jack says:

I can support Darryl’s comments – I got back early because the Clipper emails were getting increasingly desperate about the situation (their employee at Tower pier was telling people not to go to Greenwich unless you live there, and to only turn left when you get off the pier), and I arrived as the Chinese restaurant and kebab shop in the middle of town were boarding their windows.

It was quite surreal, as the sun was shining and there was the usual volume of traffic, and a number of tourists wandering around looking lost as all of the shops were closed.

All, that is, other than the barber across from the cinema and Oliver’s Wine Bar, both of whom were telling anyone who would listen “why should I close, just because the police tell me? Why don’t they do their jobs instead?”

Hard to argue with logic like that.

7. scared of chives says:

@ Neil – agree, someone ‘reported’ that shops in Greenwich town centre had had their windows smashed and been looted (the ones that…er…had been boarded up as a precaution).

8. Kate says:

A helicopter landed in Majestic wine yesterday, late afternoon. Someone had been stabbed(?) on Plumbridge Street and it was the Virgin helicopter who attended the scene. It was an older white man, late 50s? on the pavement with a stab wound. They ended up taking him away in a road ambulance vehicle and the helicopter left. Still was a very odd unnerving day. So many sirens. I do hope the man in question was ok in the end.

9. Lara says:

Thanks Methers!

10. annabel says:

lot’s of activity in Greenwich from what I can see but also lot’s of police presence too. I’m on Trafalgar Road and lot’s of sirens going past. Hope Greenwich remains intact tonight.

11. Karin says:

I agree with Neil..please let’s please stick to facts. I was not asked to board up my shop window nor to close early. I stayed open until 4pm and the Moghul restaurant was packed with diners.
    A lot of rumours were flying around and I can confirm that there were those who thought that a lot of windows had been smashed when all businesses were doing was anticipating a riot.
    Too many false rumours were flying around…