When An Olympic Course Isn’t An Olympic Course

Folks I don’t know what to make of this as I can’t exactly see where these pictures were taken. I pass them on for interest only. But they would appear to show an unannounced extension of the cross-country Olympic route – right through the acid-grassland and directly over two of the Anglo-Saxon tumuli (note the little bump by the kink in the fence):

Now, I find it hard to believe that anyone would have sanctioned this – I mean I know the tumuli were well and truly ransacked in the 18th century, but I am positive that no one would actually route horses directly over them. No one. Surely.

And yet, here’s another picture. Note the shallow bump in the centre. That’s all we have left of them.

UPDATE: Darryl at 853 has kindly gone over to see it and tells me that they’re just walking the horses through there and around the tumuli. Phew. Thanks Darryl.

olympics 3
olympics 3

olympic course 2
olympic course 2

olympic course 1
olympic course 1

9 Comments to “When An Olympic Course Isn’t An Olympic Course”

1. Mat Gough says:

Surely not? They’re under specific instructions to protect the ancient monuments aren’t they? How can we check this?

2. I’m not entirely sure, or I would have done so. But the pictures look genuine enough and, from the correspondence that I’ve seen, LOCOG are not denying it.

3. Ian says:

From what I can see they run alongside the avenue from the top of the Hill, possibly for leading horses up and down the hill to the arena?

4. Richard says:

Er,yes each time they are going to walk around the tumuli ..of course they are. I think we need to start getting used to ‘did they have permission for this…’ over the coming months…

5. PiratesPatch says:

Did they have permission to dig up the park in the 1940′s and turn it into a Giant allotment/air raid shelters!

I hope those rich residents back then who were not born anywhere near Greenwich got the fair share of veg and fruit as well as a place to hunker down whilst nasty Mr Hitler was bombing Greenwich!

How did the park survive!

How terrible….

The Park will never be the same again…

oh,….wait!

6. Richard says:

PP – so its a local park for local people now? I dont give a monkeys that they are using the park, I am more bothered about the Olympics as a whole. The park is a royal park and therefore paid for by the national taxpayer? Basically if the national government wants to use the venue then thats surely OK?

As an aside, I was running last night and the path up the maze hill side of the park is all closed. This does seem a tad OTT?

7. PiratesPatch says:

Richard, maybe they are trying to stop the LOCAL idiots from driving a car through the park wall again on that side, like they (LOCALS) did a few weeks back!

8. Richard says:

No I meant the path on the inside of the park not the pavement up maze hill itself.

Not sure a bit of wire fence would do a great deal to stop a car mind.

9. PiratesPatch says:

Sorry Richard, my mistake, but as for the inside, l think the Cross country is very centred towards that side of the park, so lm sure they had an idea behind it…..possibly!