Walking Base

A slightly ironic question today, given the nasty shooting earlier this week, but after our our reassurements that East Greenwich is really safe and a brilliant place to live (which, frankly, I still stand by – all areas of London have their issues) Ankur did finally decide to move to Walnut Tree Road and is determined to get the most out of it:

“I have been walking down Trafalgar Road to Cutty Sark DLR to get to work every morning and it doesn’t seem like a lot of people take that route to walk into town…understanbly so. So, what other, better, routes do other people from this part of Greenwich take to walk into town?”

Well, of course, Walnut Tree Road does have the ‘honour’ of being in two parts these days, thanks to a gift from the Luftwaffe, (leaving another one of those parklets I’m so fond of…) so to some extent it depends on which end you’re at as to the exact route.

But if you’re looking for quality rather than speed, then my suggestion would be to get onto the riverside as soon as possible for the best experience.

If you’re at the Vanbrugh Hill end of Walnut Tree Road, go to the junction and take Pelton Road which nestles opposite, between Traf Road and Blackwall Lane like a tomato side-shoot.

Follow that down to the end, past the lovely Pelton Arms pub, right the way down to where the Thames Path used to go left and right (grrr…) Happily you only want the left turn, taking you past the Foot and Mouth memorial, the Cutty Sark Pub, the power station and the Trinity Hospital Almshouses, with the river in all its glory to your right. ¬†You can pretty much search within the Phantom archives for posts on any of these.

Continue along the narrow little Crane Street, past the Trafalgar Tavern, then keeping to the edge by the river if you’re walking (or do a quick left and in the gates through the ORNC if you’re on a bike) take the Five Foot Walk past Greenwich Beach to the Cutty Sark. The DLR Station is just the other side, to your left.

If you’re the other end of Walnut Tree Road, just nip down Earlswood or Tyler, cross Traf Road and pop down Christchurch Way, or, if you’re feeling inquisitive, take a different route through the little maze of fun streets that make up the Pelton Estate. They all join up (though Caradoc Street is initially worrying as it has an unexpected bend in it and gets really narrow; just stick with it…) and if you keep vaguely going North West, you’ll eventually hit the same path as I talked about above.

There’s no getting round it, this route is longer than just going along Traf Road. But it’s prettier, less polluted and better for the soul. BTW personally I’m not bothered about doing this route at night, but others may disagree, given recent events.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for Ankur?

12 Comments to “Walking Base”

1. R.I.Pienaar says:

I walk from Vanbrugh Hill over to Maize Hill station, through the station and into the park from there into the town center.

Right now its a mess with the horsing around but other times its a fine walk.

2. Jon says:

You could head up towards the railway tracks, walk past the Maze Hill pottery, keep going straight onto the footpath onto Maze Hill and then walk through the Park past the playground?

3. Actually I hadn’t thought of going north. Silly me. The park is a great idea.

4. Old China says:

TGP, this is exactly the route I’d suggest. If I’m heading into town I try to leave 5 to ten minutes earlier to give myself time to go this route instead of the quicker Trafalgar Rd way. Well worth it.

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t let recent events change my habits, except maybe avoiding the shady end of Banning St in the wee hours.

On a morning jog last week, I definitely felt the 6th of the deadly sins… I went past the Foot and Mouth memorial garden by the Cutty Sark Tavern and felt distinctly envious of the lady who was sat peacefully there in a deck chair, enjoying the glorious sun rise over the river from her lovely little garden!

5. JPM says:

Don’t cycle through the ORNC. The kamikaze groundskeepers/security will do everything they can to get in your way and give you a good telling off. You have to dismount and push your bike (or cycle very very fast) as soon as you get through those big black gates…

6. No – there is an official cycle path, that runs parallel with the Five Foot Walk, just the other side of the railings. It’s a really smooth ride.

7. Scott says:

Yes you can cycle through the ORNC but only on a designated path which is closed after 6 in the evenings. Why on earth you can’t cycle straight down the middle is a mystery. They often have trucks, buses and cars down there.

8. Nutters says:

Thanks for the hint re the river walk. I normally do the park route but the river route will be a nice alternative.

9. Mazer says:

Yes it bloomin’ annoying that cyclists are second best to cars through the centre of the 0RNC. Having said that it’s lovely to take your time following the five foot walkers while they often squeeze past each other not realising there is so much space in the other side of the gates. With the old brewery open and so both gates too, I have often still cycled along that cycle path post-6pm. I have never been accosted by security. I am split between river and park for Ankur’s route, great choice to have. I do love this town.

10. Jeb says:

Well we are talking walking routes here, although it does seem crazy that bikes can’t use routes that are permitted for cars. The beauty of a bike however is that you can always become a pedestrian if necessary, and you do get to see more on foot.

11. Earlswood says:

Ok, Old Royal Navy College – of course!

12. Lara says:

Hello fellow locals, this is my favourite new shortcut that skips Maze Hill station: