The Cutest Little Kiosk In Town

Here’s a little place that has fascinated me for years. I love that it must be a piece of happy serendipity arising from a gap in between two houses that today would be gobbled up for a garage (actually, it looks like it might once have been one) or even, given property prices, micro-apartments – they’d probably squeak about eight into a gap that size. Instead it’s a teeny-tiny ice cream / snack kiosk  to sustain visitors trudging their way up to the park.

There weren’t many takers on the day I snapped this; it was one of those days we’ve had rather a lot of recently where the gaps between torrential rain were few and far between. I guess it’s a bit of an odd, all-or-nothing profession – hot, sunny days yielding queues round the block, cold, rainy days requiring a pack of cards and some matchsticks.

I don’t know how long it’s been here; I only know I can’t remember a time when it wasn’t. If you look at the architecture (a grand word, perhaps, but apt, I feel…) it’s got a very old, make-do-and-mend style of construction that’s utterly charming:

Nothing more to add really, except that for me this is the sort of little quirky corner that makes Greenwich what it is.  With a bit of luck it will survive the upheaval when the university builds its new architecture school…

BTW. Never be swayed by the ice cream vans that hang around outside sundry Greenwich Park gates. I succumbed once and bought a 99 which, about thirty seconds after I bought it, totally collapsed, it was so full of air. Pah,

cute kiosk low 2
cute kiosk low 2

cute kiosk low
cute kiosk low

9 Comments to “The Cutest Little Kiosk In Town”

1. Robert Number 16 says:

Dear Phantom.
    Hope all is well with you.Always loved the Ice cream kiosk.
    Now dear Phantom followers.

Which TV STAR lived in the house to the right of the ice cream kiosk ?

Very easy !!

2. scared of chives says:

Tricky Dicky from Eastenders – he showed me the house once when I was house-hunting. Nice bloke.

3. Robert Number 16 says:

Got it in one Scared of Chives.
    It was indeed the very good actor Ian Reddington.Who as you rightly said was Tricky Dicky in “Eastenders” more recently Vernon Tomlin the hapless drummer in “Coronation Street” Joe`s dad in the West End Musical “Our House” Lastly for the Greenwich ites in the know Ian and I appeared together at the Greenwich Theatre in “Jack and the Beanstalk”

4. scared of chives says:

If I recall it was about £170,000 in 1997 – bet it’s a bit more than that now…

5. Robert Number 16 says:

Well, Ian moved more than five years ago.He was always coming round, and asking “what should I get for my house”.I seem to recall that the asking price was well on it`s way to £500000 then!!!
    The two houses in Navada St that were a B and B (and in a very bad state) were on the market yonks ago for about 1 million the pair.

6. Robert Number 16 says:

BTW Dear Phantom .I was in Cornwall the other day and was watching the BBC`s Weather Show Filmed in Greenwich Park. At the end there was a trial to show some weather condition.It involved creating a large flame with added wind. Causing massive flames.The camera angle showed your good self (JW`s statue)at the top of the screen with smoke and flames licking around your feet.Someone phoned me, to tell you this,and how clever you are to get BBC`s effects dept to make you look so ghostly!! Did anyone else notice Our Phantom on fire?

7. Ebspig says:

I think you may have been standing on almost exactly the same spot chosen by Charles Spurgeon in 1885. Unfortunately his photographer was interested in the fishmongers and angled his camera away from whatever gate filled the gap then.

8. GB says:

Where is the Phant?

9. Steven says:

Yea……….where is the Phant?