Rear Window (21)

Today’s Rear Window shot is from Dennis – a wonderfully private view, but with one of the most public places in Greenwich peeping over it in the background.

There’s something about ventilation ducts and drain pipes on Victorian buildings, nearly all retro-fitted and yet somehow so ubiquitous that we don’t ‘see’ them.  Here we have a fabulous forest of 20th (and perhaps the odd 21st) Century shafts stuck on, Brazil-like, to some cute terraces. It shouldn’t work, but it sort of does and although St Alf’s gloriously restored tower almost glows in its newness above them, I confess to finding the arrangement of those pipes a really interesting combination.

As to where it is, though, um, I truly can’t get an angle on it in my mind. I’m sure someone will, though…

7 Comments to “Rear Window (21)”

1. Robert Number 16 says:

Back of shops / restaurants in Church St

2. Alain de Valois says:

I could be wrong (that happens lots) but to me it looks like the space between Nelson Road and Turnpin Lane. I would guess the viewer is at the rear of one of the Turnpin Lane flats.

3. Joe R says:

Those are extract ducts from restaurant kitchens (nothing else needs such big ducts, coming from ground level and discharging so high up) so this will be the back of a row of restaurants

4. Alain de Valois says:

Quite right Joe. The one on the left is Noodle Time, the centre is Mogul and the lower one on the right is the former Coffee Cellar next to the rear entrance to Joy. Probably.

5. Franklin says:

It can’t be the back of the north side of Nelson Rd, Alain – the roofs are peaked, whereas the Regency terrace on Nelson Rd has flat roofs.

I’m with Robert – it’s the back of the restaurants along the west side of Church St, seen from the new flats on Bardsley Lane.

6. See what I mean – harder than you first think…

7. Alain de Valois says:

Sorry Franklin, but I have to stick to my guns. As is so often the case with such grand buildings, there’s a huge difference between the façade and what’s going on behind. All of Joseph Kay’s splendid buildings for Greenwich Hospital have pitched roofs.

The continuing doubt persuaded me to look at the imagery available on Google and Bing maps.

Bing:

Google:

Not only can one clearly see the mass of pitched roofs, but all three ducts are also quite plain.

Thanks for prodding me; I’m no longer in any doubt.