The Toll Gate At New Cross

from the Cozens Family Album

Slightly off-topic for the penultimate photo from the Greenwich section of Harriet’s family album today – the tollgate at New Cross.

From the clothes I’d say mid-late 19th Century, and either far enough away in time or geography from the pair of rival train stationsl but I don’t know New Cross well enough to be able to imagine where the hell this would have been. From my limited knowledge, to be honest it looks more like the Southern end of Deptford High Street, where the big anchor is, but I guess our esteemed Dame would know more about that than me.

I did a quick google of Allsopp, and only came up with a modern building project, Will (spelled wrongly) and Kirstie…

So, folks – any guesses?

from the Cozens Family Album
Toll Gate at New Cross cozens low

11 Comments to “The Toll Gate At New Cross”

1. Rod says:

Allsopp was a large brewery (one of the largest in Britain at the time this picture was taken) in Burton on Trent, with a proud history of being one of the largest suppliers of the most-prized India Pale Ale to the sub-continent. By 1880, Burton had overtaken London as the largest brewing centre in the world, and the traditional dark Burton ales (Old Peculier is a survival) and Burton pale ales were very highly regarded all over Britain and beyond.
    The building behind the toll gate is a pub.
    I’m amazed that Google didn’t come up with the brewery – there’s masses of stuff about them on the internet.

2. Rod – long time no speak! Hope all’s well over at OUR brewery!

Thanks for that. I wonder, now, what the pub was…

Perhaps my search was rubbish. It’s not unheard of.

3. scared of chives says:

I notice the sign for ‘Bromley Races’ – related to this snippet from the interweb:

The growth of the parish necessitated in 1841
    the building of a new church at Bromley Common,
    about a mile out of the town, on the Tonbridge
    road. It is an ugly Gothic edifice, dedicated to the
    Holy Trinity, built of flint, with stone dressings,
    and consisting of a nave, transepts, and dwarf
    towers. In the fields behind the church the
    Bromley races and steeplechases have been held
    for many years…..

4. OC, I think you might be right – it would make sense to put a tollgate there, there is a pub there with a double bay. What a shame they got rid of the old tollgate building though (would have been a terrible bottleneck…oh, hang on, it already is…)

5. OldChina says:

That google image is actually out of date. if you turn your back to the pub this image shows a pretty area with cast iron railing and an old village pump (maybe)?

That’s all been torn out now and is only preserved “by record” in photos like this. It’s now all just road.

Here’s a better angle to match to the photo.

6. OldChina says:

NB – I don’t think the tall object is a pump. I’m not sure what it is. Sorry, “was”.

That, and the cast iron railings and curly arches are all history. That’s all tarmac now. I often cycle past this junction and miss that little area.

7. OldChina says:

Ha, great stuff. Cheers Darryl. I see that there’s a painting of “The Island” from 1850-ish as a turnpike near the bottom of the page, which looks a lot like TGP’s post.

“In the mid-19th century, the Island was the site of the New Cross turnpike gate, where tolls were collected from traffic using the New Cross Road (on the route from London to Dover)”.

8. Caroline says:

The ‘pump’ was a ventilation pipe for the public toilets. It has now been moved across the road to just outside the pub. And yes, the tollgate was indeed there.

9. Transpontine says:

Yes, it’s by the Queens Rd/New Cross Rd junction, the pub shown is still there – The White Hart. More here: