New Google Earth Shots

Thank you to all the people who have told me that Google Earth have updated their shots of Greenwich. I confess I’m usually so busy looking at the buildings I don’t notice whether or not there are leaves on the trees (which there weren’t with the last batch) so it took other eagle-eyed people to spot that.

Graham points out that the current set of pics were taken during the really dry spell last summer, which means that some of the buried features in Greenwich Park, for example, are easier to see. Graham’s marked evidence of a bomb crater on this map – but if you zoom in you can really see interesting features, most of which I suspect are remnants of the WWII bomb shelters we were talking about a couple of months ago.

Out of interest, is anyone collecting scans of the various Google Earth maps as they come out? They only change subtly but once they’re gone, they’re gone. Hmm. note to self…

14 Comments to “New Google Earth Shots”

1. scared of chives says:

This was taken over the weekend of Glastonbury (25th-27th June 2010)

I know because my garden because a mini-festival over the same weekend – complete with tent, flag, BBQ, bucket. The tent can be seen on the Google map!

2. scared of chives says:

..my garden BECAME….

3. Stephen says:

You don’t need to do that, have a look for the clock at the top of Google earth, click on it and you get a time line of images back to 2003 or thereabouts and you can even see an image from 1945, but that is very low resolution.

4. I didn’t know that, Stephen – thanks!

5. OldChina says:

I love google maps and street view. It sucks away hours of my time.

Speaking of WWII shelters reminds me of something; I was walking through the park yesterday morning and a WWII air raid siren started up, I think near the power station. It was a taste of what life might have been like for Londoners back then and was quite exciting.

Does anyone know if this siren is a regular occurance? I’m not normally in the park at this time!

6. OldChina says:

ps – this was about 7:00am. As I say, I’m not normally up and out at this time!

7. I recently joined Panoramio, the site for non-aerial Google earth photos. My website above, and to my surprise on page 3 (!) in the March `Greenwich visitor` paper online at http://www.thegreenwichvisitor.com/

8. Steve says:

Thank goodness we’ve got rid of those huge long shadows that were in the previous version.

9. Max says:

Yep June’s about right, my flat on Nelson Road is under scaffolding and mesh… as is half the street… Looking forward to seeing some daylight this summer :)

10. Boneyboy says:

Google buy these images from companies who regularly fly air photo surveys. The whole of London was re surveyed last summer by one of these; geo information ltd. They also have a historic archive of previous surveys including snaps by the german airforce in the 1930s and the us af in the 1940s

11. Steve says:

For those of you who haven’t already, if you switch on ’3D buildings’, you’ll see the result of a small team’s efforts to model London’s principle buildings.

A few days ago, Google themselves added a large chunk of the West End.

UCL has used OS maps to create 3D models of every building in London and wanted to add it to Google Earth. However, the OS blocked it as it was against licensing rules.

12. David says:

That’s an incredible spot on Google earth; I wonder what the really big rectangle surrounding the “arrow” pointing out the crater is (was)!?

13. Boneyboy says:

It’s also worth trying microsofts Bing map site.it has air photos but also an option for an oblique arial view (an angle of about 60degrees) ,and you can choose the direction of the oblique view,so for example I can choose to view my street from any direction.

14. Peter Ashby says:

if you look in the views section of google earth you should see a section historical imagery, this opens a slider where you can display previous versions of the imagery.