Hell Alley

About a year ago I got into the ghost stories of M.R. James. I became rather excited about the concept and thought I’d have a go at creating my own turn-of-the-last-century ghost tale for Greenwich. I then did what all authors do – I put it away in a digital drawer. I dug it out again a week or so ago. I haven’t any clue if it works or not, but I thought it would be fun to post it for Christmas Eve as it’s the traditional time for such things…

I don’t make any claims for it being a) historically accurate b) scary or c) any good.

Find it here. I hope the link works – I think I spent longer trying to work out how to upload the damn thing than I did writing it.

Happy Christmas Eve.

Hell Alley  lowjpg
Hell Alley lowjpg

11 Comments to “Hell Alley”

1. Dazza says:

Um, don’t know how to tell you this but…. I get a black bar with a blue insert but no PDF. My technical knowledge stops there I’m afraid. Anyone else know what the problem is?
    Looking forward to reading a scary story. Next one will be my Bank statement!!!

2. Oh bugger – and I think the Phantom Webmaster’s away. I’ll see what I can do – but don’t get your hopes up -either for the upload or the quality of the tale…

3. Paul says:

Ha, I loved the story. Especially the notion of a certain type of person being consigned to a fate worse than death. This could revolutionise the planning regime…

4. Paul says:

ONly just seen dazza’s note, it opens up fine on a mac.

5. This is all very weird – it works just fine for me. I’ve left a message with TPW but for now, the limits of my technical wisdom were reached at about 9.30 this morning. :-(

6. Robert Number16 says:

I managed to get it, look forward to reading

7. stonemuse says:

good stuff Phantom … more please

8. Dazza says:

oooopppps, too much seasonal libation……restarted Firefox and it seems to be fine now…….
    Have printed a copy to read under the Duvet….Hope I don’t spill my Horlicks over it in fright…..

9. Ebspig says:

What a lovely Christmas present! Thank you so much, dear Phant. I’m saving up my reading as a Christmas Day treat. Wishing you, and all by-with-and-from Greenwich, a suitably Merry Christmas.

10. Dennis says:

Well done. Not sure whether to be chuffed or miffed that my street has been used as the setting for a ghost story, but hey ho. Might explain why the place is more Walpurgisnacht than Xmas Eve on the 24th, though.

If you like M. R. James, you might care for “Uncle Montague’s Tales of Terror”, which makes a marvellous pressie for sanguine youngsters; even better if their parents are of a nervous disposition.

11. Susie says:

Hi Phantom (if I may call you that)
    Loved the story and have emptied my pockets of loose change just in case….