Then and Now (3) Crooms Hill

David Ramzan’s new book, Royal Greenwich Through Time reminded me that we haven’t had one of our own ‘Then and Now’ pics for ages.

I got this postcard absolutely ages ago and have been meaning to get a photo of what it’s like now ever since. I finally managed to walk up Crooms Hill AND have my camera with me over the weekend, though of course, I’d forgotten the postcard itself.

Despite the fact that I couldn’t remember the exact angle, I don’t think I did too badly with my guesswork here:

I confess I know absolutely nothing about these buildings.

Annoying though it is to have that car ‘in the way,’ I often find that when I’m looking at old pictures the people and means of transport that ‘got in the way’ at the time interest me as much as the buildings behind them, so I decided to keep the pic.

The guy to the far right, by the way, was part of a group of tourists who stopped to ask me the way a couple of minutes later. They didn’t speak much English, just saying ‘Green-Witch’ very loudly and waving their arms in an up and down direction. It took me a moment to realise they were after the Meridian Line…

I did go back when I’d looked at the postcard again and got a slightly better angle (sadly I don’t know how to do the fadey-thing around the edge):

Just for good measure (and because in truth I couldn’t remember which group of buildings the postcard was actually of) I also snapped the group just a spot further down the hill, just as cute, only with slightly different fronts (aw- c’mon – I’d defy you to remember which set’s in the postcard absolutely cold if you didn’t have it with you) and I present it for you here…

sepia
sepia

crooms hill llow
crooms hill llow

crooms hill lllow
crooms hill lllow

Crooms Hill low
Crooms Hill low

11 Comments to “Then and Now (3) Crooms Hill”

1. Ebspig says:

Yes, Crooms Hill doesn’t change much. Did you know that George Orwell used to visit and stay (your bottom photo) and had particular trouble with a mouse (diary entry 30th June 1940)?

2. Peter says:

On the building to the right in your first picture, there is what appears to be a blue plaque on the wall – does this hold any significance?
    Peter

3. Paul T says:

wot, you can see the blue plaque in the photo? Your eyesight is better than mine.

If you mean the double-fronted building on the corner of Gloucester Circus, it bears a plaque commemorating Benjamin Waugh, a congregationalist minister who founded the NSPCC.

4. Ebspig says:

The blue plaque is on the next house southwards. It commemorates Benjamin Waugh (1839-1908)who founded the NSPCC.

5. Ebspig says:

Sorry – my attempts at including links didn’t work at all, and my words got scrambled. As Paul T says, the blue plaque for BW is on the building south of the Gloucester Circus entrance, and George Orwell visited the building to the north of that road.

6. tintinhaddock says:

The blue plaque commemorating Benjamin Waugh is on the wrong house. When the GLC put it up they failed to take into account street renumbering so, in fact, Benjamin Waugh lived at what is now 62 Crooms Hill.

7. Stephen says:

“I also snapped the group just a spot further down the hill”

The one with the bay windows from that group (number24) sold for almost £2million in August 2006 and the Benjamin Waugh house went for £1,650,000 in January 2006.
    I remember the asking price for number 24 was around about £2.3 million. I think it has 6 or 7 bedrooms.

8. kate says:

Inside these houses are gorgeous – whenever the front doors are open I am terrible for hanging around trying to have a gawp. Lots of fab original panelling. Cecil Day Lewis lived in one of these didn’t he… and presumably Daniel, local boy: .He talked about his Greenwich childhood when he won a BAFTA:
    (clip doesn’t mention Crooms Hill tho)

9. Minnie says:

Used to live on Croom’s Hill, year ago. On same side as Day-Lewis residence (but further up and a whole world away). Is there now a plaque there? Should be, given the powerhouse (yes, sorry) of talent: Cecil, Jill (Balcon), Daniel and Tamasin. Jill Balcon used to judge our school drama competitions: wonderful woman, always scrupulously fair. Even for losers, the decision was to be relished as it was delivered in that beautiful voice.

10. Z Todd says:

We live in the ‘Orwell’ House – nice to know someone else had mouse trouble too… They are very bold.