Herb Garden Plans?

LGM asks:

“On my run this morning I went past the herb garden and saw what resembled a planning application (pale blue and not the standard white background). I planned to go back and check the details. I’ve just returned from the park to find the notice ‘gone’ with only the plastic tags left. I’ve checked planning applications online: can’t find anything.

Has anyone heard if there are any plans for the herb garden?”

The Phantom would be very surprised if they’re planning much for the herb garden itself – it’s delightful as it is. I had thought it might be an application from LOCOG to get out of some restrictions, but Otter pointed out that I was being a Silly Old Phantom and I’d got it all wrong – so tut to me and that leaves me with no idea at all.

It could be something really innocuous like pruning some bushes to make the herb garden even lovelier or something more sinister. I have no idea. Anyone know?

herb garden low
herb garden low

16 Comments to “Herb Garden Plans?”

1. Pedro says:

I’d like to know, too. I’ve had some James Wolfe kids mention to me that one of the politicians – the mayor? Nick Raynsford? – at the recent market ceremony mentioned the herb garden will be temporarily used for changing rooms.

It’s very likely they got the story completely wrong, but I’ve been keeping an eye open for plans. So far there seems to be nothing.

2. I’m not really sure how that could work! Of all the park horror stories I hear, that one’s way out there! On the other hand, never say never, I guess…

3. Otter says:

I am puzzled about the claim that LOCOG are trying to get restrictions lifted. The latest application is related to the discharge of conditions attached to the original application. In planning speak that means the fulfilment of conditions not the ducking thereof. Does someone have contrary evidence? If so, bring it out.

Plans are in the original application which I think is still online (no time to check just now).

4. Oh – is this Silly Old Phantom getting the facts wrong again? As soon as I’ve done at least SOME work today I’ll have a poke into it.

5. Paul Webbewood says:

Light blue background indicates a licensing application

6. EnglishRose says:

Silly question time….where is the Herb Garden? I’ve somehow managed to miss it in my perambulations around Greenwich & the Park and would love pay it a visit.

7. Do you know where the Cow and Coffee Bean cafe is right at the main entrance of the park (greenwich town centre)? Well, go past that and continue into the park, keeping to the path closest to the right – it’s about 25 yards in.

8. Jack says:

Wasn’t that where they were going to put either temporary offices or temporary stables for the equestrian events? I’m sure I recall that they were going to have to put sewage pipes through that part of the park, from the application.

9. Ben says:

There were some signs matching that description just giving notice of the charity 5k run in the park on Sunday morning – and I saw them being taken down around lunchtime. That may be all it was.

10. Mary says:

Phantom – to me ‘herb garden’ means a rather nice little park in Deptford where they had some jazz and ambiance this weekend.

11. EnglishRose says:

Thank you, Phantom! I always enter the park by the Blackheath entrance so, by the time that I get to Greenwich, I’m usually charging straight into the town in search of food or shopping! I’ll make sure I look out for the herb garden next time….

12. Michael Kaye says:

Phantom if you can, can you you link to google maps when mentioning a place. I too didn’t know what was meant by the herbs gardens. It’s easy honest…

13. LGM says:

@Ben it definately wasn’t the the Fun Run sign. I was quite close to the sign but fearing if I stopped running I may not carry on, I continued and went back later. The Fun Run sign – white background – was there (no where near the sign I saw – blue background – on my run)

Well I hope it comes to nothing and we keep the herb garden intact!

14. Innocent bystander says:

There were definitely licensing applications around in the park recently, applying to be able to serve drink during the Greenwich Festival in various of the gardens. I suspect that is what it was.

15. auchinairnboy says:

I passed the Herb Garden this morning. ALL the herbs have gone as has the sign which identified each type. Shame.

16. Lara says:

Where I am in Devon, a light blue sign would indicated an application for a premises licence. Are there any plans for an event there that may involve live music/dance/alcohol?