Bee First Aid

Victoria’s been very concerned about the number of expired and expiring bumblebees conking out around Greenwich. She says “They’re especially bad around Greenwich South street near St Marks church.  Every morning on the way to the DLR there are more and more, I counted at least 30 this morning.”

Now, I know nothing about bees except that some people keep them on their roofs these days. But while I was busy googling Bees in Greenwich (did you know there’s an Beekeeping supplies shopon Blackheath Hill? No – nor did I…)  Victoria  managed to find this useful First Aid Advice for grounded bees. It looks a bit fiddly to me, all sugar solutions and pipettes, but at least there’s no mouth-to-mouth involved.

I know – the pictures seem pretty random, but I didn’t have any lovely pictures of Greenwich bees, dead or alive, and I did have lovely pictures of Greenwich Park flowers that Stevie took the other day. And bees like flowers don’t they, so it’s sort of connected…

stevie flower
stevie flower

stevie flower 2
stevie flower 2

9 Comments to “Bee First Aid”

1. loup says:

There are people keeping bees in Deptford Creek of all places. They sell the honey too. Time Out did a feature on that a few months ago.

2. Kat says:

Funnily enough I was thinking the same thing as I was walking up South Street yesterday. A bee-graveyard it would appear. At first I was wondering if perhaps these suicidal bees have been stinging the folk of West Greenwich and suffering the consequences? It does seem a bit odd!

3. Maggie says:

I wonder, are the expiring bees actually the small honey bees (ie from hives) or the larger ‘bumble bees’?

As for the other point – there are certainly bee keepers in the area. The ones I know best are in the borough of Greenwich (but not the town) over at Woodlands Farm. If anyone sees a swarm then the bee-keepers at the farm would be interested and, if possible, come to ‘rescue’ it.

4. marmoset says:

Odd, there’s been no big environmental change in the locality and, as far as I understood it, the varrua mite has had it in for the honeybee rather than the bumblebee.

(Unless they’ve been afflicted by the vuvuzela mite…)

5. marmoset says:

”I’ve been wondering if there are any local beekeepers around here? There are a couple in Catford and Brockley but there must surely be some Greenwich Honey around?”

Deptford Creek Honey (I know I said ”Deptford” but they’re on the Greenwich bank). I’m not sure whether the deli on Tanners Hill or the Creekside Centre still sells it but they certainly used to.

There’s a pic on this blog: http://pebblesoup.blogspot.com/2009/07/deptford-creek-honey_31.html

6. Anne says:

Someone should report this to some kind of bee conservation organisation, if there is one.

7. anne maple says:

Hi, I am an organic evergreen gardener based in New Cross. I work all over London and parts of Kent. I am finding dead bumble bees and others, as well as cats becoming ill with renal failure, in the locality of gardens where organic snail killers are being used. I will not kill anything and am very concerned about the safety of even organic killers.

8. Mark says:

Was on anyone on Greenwich hill yesterday (Sun 4th July)? I was flying a kite with my son towards the end of the day and there was a huge swarm of very large bees around the trees and the fields. We had to abandon and leave as they were in an aggressive mood – no stings thankfully but it would only have been a matter of time I feel.

9. Charlton Beekeeper says:

I keep a few colonies of honey bees in my garden in Charlton since Aug 2009. I had my first harvest this summer. My honey tastes delicious and friends love them. As for mass number of dead bees, they might have been poisoned by pesticide/insecticide in someone’s garden. You could report the incidents to Fera (in charge of well being of pollinators) of Defra. Hope this helps.