Oyster Update

Folks – amazingly, I got a reply from Oyster this morning about the email I sent them after my bad day on sundry forms of transport. Due to an ‘operational issue’ I am owed a refund of £9.30, which sounds about right to me.

So -clearly it IS worth complaining. Hurrah.

HOWEVER. Much as I’m told that network rail IS included in the capping system, I’m edgy about it. I’m going to be buying paper tickets more often than not now.

11 Comments to “Oyster Update”

1. Dazza says:

Now don't go spending it all at once Phanty…….

2. Dave says:

I smell a curry review coming on!

3. darryl says:

That's wrong – trains ARE counted as part of the travelcard cap. Or, at least, they should be.

Here's a table of fares.

4. The Greenwich Phantom says:

Sorry Darryl – can you point out to me where it says that national trains are counted as part of the travelcard cap – I can't see anywhere that says that – and I have heard from someone who was talking to bigwigs from TfL yesterday who said they are not part of the capping system.

5. methers says:

From the National Rail website:

"When you touch in using pay as you go on National Rail an entry charge will be deducted from the balance on your card. This charge will be adjusted when you touch out at the end of your journey so that you pay the correct advertised fare and qualify for the appropriate daily price cap."

So that's it in theory. Whether or not it's working in practice…

6. The Greenwich Phantom says:

Thanks Methers. Hmm. I'm still not wild about it. I think where I can I'll get a paper ticket from now on – if nothing else it will save the Grove Park mystery mix up happening again.

7. Edith S says:

It also says NR trains are included on the page Darryl linked to, if you hover over the 'off-peak cap' heading for more info. It'd be good if you could update your original post as those of us reading via RSS don't see the comments unless we click through. The only Oysterised transport I know of that doesn't count towards the cap is the Thames Clippers.

I'm sticking with paper travelcards/tickets on NR at the moment, but only because it's cheaper to do so as I'm a Gold Card holder and TfL has decided not to implement Gold Card discounts on Oyster. I miss off-peak day return paper tickets…

8. Jon says:

Edith, if you look at the link below, you'll see that a discount is supposed to be available for Annual Gold Card holders.

However, my experience on Friday is that actually persuading a TfL employee to put the discount on is another matter altogether.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14414.aspx#Railcard holders

9. Em says:

Hi all, has anyone else noticed a problem with tickets for "london terminals"? with a paper ticket i could go from maze hill to london vauxhall with just a single to london. now on oyster i touch out at waterloo east and in again at waterloo and i'm fairly sure i then get charged for two singles. anyone else noticed this?

10. Capability Bowes says:

I had a 6 zone travelcard loaded onto my oyster yesterday. I went from Eltham to Kingston via Waterloo on the train and back, which in theory took me over the cap limit. However, when boarding the only bus I used at the very end of my return trip, £1.20 was deducted over and above the cap limit. I emailed TfL and will report back on what they tell me.

11. Anon says:

I was being consistently overcharged on my oystercard too! The helpline cost me fortunes as I waited on their premium line and could not explain it. It was only after I submitted a Freedom of Information Act request that TfL coughed up the information about ungated stations and interchange times (seemingly unknown software to the helpline operators). Confused yet? Basically, if I went to Canary Wharf on the DLR for a quick errand and then home again without staying longer than an hour or so, then it automatically assumed that my swipe on the way home was a “mistake” and then charged me a penalty at Greenwich. Who knew? This happens to a lot of people each month (another FOI request) but if your card is registered, they try to refund you. If your card is not registered (like mine) then you are simply overcharged every time. They claim to have reduced the interchange times recently but I have still incurred penalties. Grrrrrrr…… I have another FOI request pending.