Ashburnham Drains

Peaches is up to her knees in – well, I’m hoping it’s water…

She says:

“Just wondering if any other Ashburnham Triangle residents are having problems with their drains at the moment? We’ve heard of at least two other people living near The Guildford pub who have had blockages over the past week or so. Thames Water claimed ours was a local blockage rather than on the mains system but this seems to be very coincidental if it is.

Also anyone know how you work out whose responsibility it is to pay for damage?
Thames Water’s website seems to imply that houses built when ours was (c1840) have public rather than private sewers, yet we were charged for the repairs they carried out and are therefore also presumably liable for the damageā€¦?”

The Phantom replies;

I’m sure someone will tell you if you’re not alone with the blockages. There’s been an awful lot of rainwater slooshing through those drains this season, and with everyone paving over every inch of land they own these days, there’s nowhere for surface water to go, which makes the drains work even harder. If memory serves, and I’m a bit rusty on this, Thames Water is responsible for getting water to and from your property but once on your land, it’s your issue. I’m sure someone who actually knows will now shoot me down in flames…

6 Comments to “Ashburnham Drains”

1. Anonymous says:

Im quite sure ther eis a problem throughout 'west' Greenwich with drains at the moment, as from Greggs all the way up to the PictureHouse smells awful

2. Robert No 16 says:

Dear Anoymous
    You are so correct about the " smells awful"in West Greenwich.They are infact the recycled mulch, given to us all by Greenwich Council

3. Robert No 16 says:

Dear Anoymous

4. Robert No 16 says:

So sorry you smelt it twice

5. Benedict says:

Robert your such a wag…ha ha suprised your not on the corner selling Nose-Gays to the tourists.
    I'm also pretty sure the Phantom is right, once it comes on to your property it is your responsibilty as I found out when the mains coming into my house leaked under my dining room floor which then had to be ripped up and relayed. Fortunately I was able to claim on our house insurance for the work, you may be able to do the same.Good luck.

6. alan says:

As a resident of greenwich i know all about the smells around greenwich from the main drains,
    you must ring thames water and insist they come out and high pressure jet them clear (no charge)
    for domestic a high pressure jetting of the drains should clear all problems but this is chargeable and you must use a good company like ourselves who are
    registered with the institute of plumbing
    alan