The Big Bang

Dang!

I’ve been waiting for months for the controlled explosion of the silos at the old Syrol site – I knew they were coming (though not exactly when) but I’ve had so much on my plate recently I clean forgot.

I didn’t even remember when Lucy asked yesterday if anyone had heard an explosion. It was just when finally getting to peruse some local blogs that I discovered this on the greenwich.co.uk site.

Sounds like there are still two to go – so maybe I won’t miss them…

7 Comments to “The Big Bang”

1. Mary says:

The big one is still to come – I tried to find out the date yesterday but apparently there is nothing set yet.

2. The Greenwich Phantom says:

Mary – if you hear anything wil you let us know?

3. Lucy says:

Thanks for clearing that up,I was wondering if it was the factory and then started thinking – is there a strange smell? Not sure if that was paranoia, but I'm sure it probably does create one. And gives me a good excuse for why the house is so dusty! I'd like to see the next one too.

4. Andy says:

I didn't know anything about it but I happened to cycle along the path (about 2 o'clock) just before the demolition took place. There was a pink wire strung from the works over the path to a jetty almost opposite where the demolition contractors were gathered by a white van. I decided to hang around and watch from the foreshore. It took two attempts to blow it up, but it did seem to fall the right way!

5. pacard says:

you can follow the stages leading to the explosion from my photoblog, here:

it happened to wonder around in the morning and workers told me the explosion would be at 2pm, so I rushed onto the Isle of Dog just a few seconds away from the best spot…nevertheless, I got it! The main sylos should come down sometimes this week, probably with the low tide…

Paolo

6. Anonymous says:

Afraid the big sylos coming down won't be nearly as exciting – they will be using a 62m long reach demoltion rig (eg big digger) to pull them down rather than exploding them in order to protect the foreshore. i think they're looking at doing it either thursday or friday….

7. pacard says:

a 62m long reach demolition rig pulling down the old sylos is definitely appealing from a photographic point of view. However, I want to stress also the drama unfolding brick by brick there!
    Loss of landscape, character, maybe use-value of the riverside, and above all of industrial heritage….