Aluna Greenwich

When I first met Laura Williams, two years ago, at an open day at Trinity Wharf, and saw her models – and plans, I was excited enough about the Aluna Project to write about it even though it was planned to go the wrong side of the river.

In case you missed it, it’s a wonderful, spiritual, gigantic piece of art; a working lunar clock, powered by the tide, marking the phases of the moon – and the tide itself. I won’t go into it all again here, but it caught my imagination in a way that most public art doesn’t. Let’s face it – there can be few projects that have excited Pagans, Scientists and Phantoms alike…

Well – it seems that after a shaky start, it’s beginning to gain momentum – and it’s changed location – whilst negotiations for East India Dock Basin have faltered, it’s now planned for a site on the Peninsula on our side of the river, marking the Meridian line, and it just feels so right.

There’s a long way to go before this staggeringly beautiful, profound work gets made reality, but I’m nailing my colours to the mast here – I love it. Join their mailing list for updates here.

11 Comments to “Aluna Greenwich”

1. Gwladys Street. says:

Looks like an amazing world-class art work. Something other than the poky soulless apartments planned for the East Greenwich riverside.

2. 被リンク says:

Did you take the photo?

So beautiful!

3. The Greenwich Phantom says:

Sadly not – it's 'borrowed' from the site; I'm hoping they don't mind too much.

4. Marmoset says:

As someone who once calculated that the frequency of the tides*, when multiplied by doubling the frequency through the octaves, would actually produce a note slightly flat of B flat, I can't help but find this project absolutely fascinating.

*note: my maths is notoriously bad so it might actually come out as F sharp, but I did use a spreadsheet so it could be reasonably accurate.

5. scared of chives says:

…is that a poky souless B flat?

6. Marmoset says:

''…is that a poky souless B flat?''

I think you might be confusing the celestial B flat with the B flat produced by the vuvuzela that will be driving all football watchers insane during the world cup.

7. Anonymous says:

i'm not sure if you can call the developments on the peninsula souless. I live on gmv and while not everyone likes it, it certainly has its own character, and with the colour schemes and ecology park it has more going for it than a lot of new developments.

Also, the new college building by the dome is one of the mist different i've seen in a long time. Again, you may not like it but it isn't a souless glass block.

8. Anonymous says:

ps. Excuse spelling mistakes.. Sending from a phone.

9. Gwladys turns pedantic says:

As a good atheist I should not have written of soulless apartments.
    I know a little about the soul of Marvin Gaye and something of the lost soul of Darrell Banks.
    Perhaps when people refer to souless they mean Aretha Franklin (or Shingai Shoniwa from The Noisettes).
    Just teasing (my spelling is suspect too). Its a damn fine clock thing though.

10. Anonymous says:

Phantom, huge thanks for such a wonderful post up about Aluna! We are all very excited about a Meridian site on the south bank! so are doing our best to keep building momentum and generating the resources necessary to engage in the final development stages.

We have found your blog site brilliant and inspiring during various Greenwich research sessions, and I very much hope that as the project develops, Aluna might have the pleasure of you and your readers' input in terms of local history, connections with moon, time, tide, industry, communities and more…

Very best wishes and thanks again, Laura

11. The Greenwich Phantom says:

Laura – I think it's a brilliant thing. Do stay in touch – and let us know how we can help!